• Register Today It's free!

Jasper Motor

djsk8r33

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 4DR XLT
Hey all. the PO of my X said there's a jasper motor/tranny in my X.

who knows how many real miles are on my truck (title says 230k)
but apparently a jasper motor/tranny were installed about 40k ago.

my tranny shifts fine and i do not have any problems with it.

but my engine has quite a few. i KNOW its leaking coolant and i think it may be head gasket or cracked heads. today (its pretty cold) there was smoke coming from the bay. not the kind where the engine blows. but when you put cold water on hot metal. i dropped just a tab or snow in there to be sure. it was coming from somewhere all the way under, near the heads/manifolds.

anyways.. is there a way to tell if i have a jasper motor in there.. i never recieved any paperwork for it and im wondering if it really does have one in there. i know they dont replace things like the IAC, MAF, etc, etc but the heads should have new gaskets and all and shoudlnt be leaking, no?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it runs great, (still need to fix my exhaust to actually feel the rest of my acceleration)
but it just litterally almost POURS out this coolant.

anybody else have any insight/[hopefully] KNOWLEDGE?

Is there coolant in the oil?

Have you performed a compression test?

A friend had a Jasper put into his '74 Firebird a while back, at a certified shop that sells them. When it started knocking at 2,000 miles he went back. Jasper would not honor the warranty, because the installer could not produce printouts of the tests they require for warranty validation after installation. Several months and a laywer later, he got a refund less shipping both ways but had to pay a different mechanic to yank it out and pack it up.

As for identifying it, I'd suggest looking for the engine number and contacting them by e-mail to see if it's theirs.

I've done numerous heads on the OHV motor. It's time consuming but not difficult. If you are able to pinpoint the actual location of the leak, we may know more. Compression test or coolant test is a great idea as well.

Where are you in NJ?

I've done numerous heads on the OHV motor. It's time consuming but not difficult. If you are able to pinpoint the actual location of the leak, we may know more. Compression test or coolant test is a great idea as well.

Where are you in NJ?

i am in rockaway, about 15-20 mins from morristown

i will search around to do a compression test.

there is no visible coolant in the oil (as far i can see, it is a little thin.

did some research on how to perform a compression test, and its quite much.

what are some other symptons, and what does a compression test tell me. obviouslt the compression of each cylindar, but what else. why do i need to know this information.

what other ways can i test this? besides the obvious and just following coolant lines.

did some research on how to perform a compression test, and its quite much.

Actually performing a compression test is not difficult at all and is a basic technique to test a motor's health.

what are some other symptons, and what does a compression test tell me. obviouslt the compression of each cylindar, but what else. why do i need to know this information.

Take a look at http://64.78.42.182/sweethaven/MechTech/Automotive01/default.asp?unNum=2&lesNum=7&modNum=6

Have a shop do a pressure test on the cooling system. They just replace the radiator
cap with a pump and pressurize the system. Then you can see from where it's leaking. Then you can determine what to do next.

anyways.. is there a way to tell if i have a jasper motor in there.. i never recieved any paperwork for it and im wondering if it really does have one in there.

All Jasper motors have an id sticker on the front of the block.

i have yet to have time to do any compression tests. but its getting worse, or i didnt realize how bad it is.

last night i refilled the resivior (sp? LOL) full with new coolant. today, i drove about maybe 10 miles total. its empty.

i cannt see anything obvious from the container itself.. would a cracked head[gasket] allow THIS much thru. i hope not. i hope i can find and patch this leak. it cant be good running on no coolant all the time and wasting this much money

i m a mechanic and my shop is a preffered installer for jasper..i install like 2-4 motors/trannys a month (a good month) and have never had a problem with them, there service is amazing, u should be able to call them with ur vin# and c if a motor was ordered for your truck

well i did a pressure check on the rad. and it is SURE that i am looking coolant from somewhere underneath (DUH!) the guage would decrease rapidly and coolant almost pours from underneath. its nearly impossible to tell exactly where. at first i thought it was the upper rad hose. so i checked it and re-tightened it. and re-filled.

a few miles later and im not loosing coolant anymore... another few miles.. its back to how it was.

i was reading in my haynes about troubleshooting coolant loss and it says if there are mater puddle underneath its the water pump. i do have water after i park my truck in the driveway.. i just thought it was some water after it rained that was sitting insade frame-rails or whever, and spilling out.

what does this mean to me? replace the waterpump and im in good shape? is there more to this?

Is it AC condensation?

its QUITE a bit of water. i also thought that was it. its in droplets, not the usual puddle. the reason i think its waterpump or something is they reason it WOULD be in droplets is if there were coolant or oil in it(none of which is visible to me)

i have [obviously] not been using my AC, and only use my heat in the morning, and i dont notice any droppage when i get to school[in the morning]

edit: i know what i say in jibberish. just ask to clarify something, haha.

Back