Adding Ford OEM Running Boards

Stephen S

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 XLT Ironman
I'd like to add Ford OEM black running boards to my 2007 Explorer. I bought the boards and the install looked pretty straight forward, but I ran into a problem. My truck has the plastic frame hiders and rear AC. Ford routed the hard AC lines down the passenger side of the truck, in the body pocket where the running board brackets need to be bolted on. I've taken every hold down off the lines, but I've not been able to get them out of the way far enough to even get the frame hider brackets off, much less get the board brackets bolted on.:mad:

Has anyone with rear AC done this, or had the boards put installed? I'm not even sure that evacuating the AC system and totally disconnecting the lines would make enough room with how they're routed. Any techs around who have installed these?:help:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not a tech but I have put running boards on my '06. I bought aftermarket ones (half the price of OEM). The brackets used the stock mounting locations which was nice. Didn't really want to drill holes in a brand new truck. I have rear a/c and all I did was unscrew three (I think) bolts that held the a/c line brackets in place. I was able to move the a/c lines out of the way enough to get the brackets bolted on. Then just replaced the the a/c line bolts and that was it. Not sure what you mean by "frame hider brackets" but yours is an '07 maybe it's a little different.

not sure if it helps but i had the dealer add factory running boards to my 06 when I bought it and it was suppose to be a 1-2 hour job, ended up taking them 6 hours. I have the rear ac as well.

Thanks for the reply. There must be a difference in the AC lines from 06 to 07. I removed a total of 7 brackets holding the lines down and still could not get them to move enough. The problem seems to be where the lines cross over between the body and the frame at the rear of the truck. They're bent in a way that binds them up when you try to get them down.

As for the frame hiders...they are like plastic skirts that hang down about six inches and cover the frame from view. They attach to the stock running board mounting locations using brackets similar in shape to the board mounting brackets, but they are made of plastic and must be removed before installing the board brackets. This wouldn't be a problem if the AC lines would move enough.

This is very frustrating!:fire:

I bought factory running boards too for our 06. However, because of the rear A/C lines I had the same problem as you. The A/C lines are VERY fragile. I ended up having the dealer install that side. Guess what. Even THEY damaged the A/C lines and they had to order a whole new set of A/C lines for me. If remember correctly, they had to order a front set and a rear set because they didn't know that it came like that initially. Obviously it was all under warranty but still troublesome to deal with.

My recommendation is to pay the dealer to do it and let them deal with the possible damage to the very expensive cost of replacing A/C lines. Good Luck.

Wierd, I didn't have a problem at all. Maybe I just got lucky. Oh well, having the dealer do it is the safest way to do it. I was going for the cheaper way, ie: the aftermarket boards and doing the work myself. Sounds like for some reason it's harder to put on the factory boards. Aftermarket sounds like the way to go. Good luck, you'll like them once you get them on.

Got 'em on

I had to take the Explorer in to the dealer this week to fix a broken latch on the rear hatch window, and I brought the running boards with me. I wasn't optimistic, but to my surprise they got them on without breaking anything. I checked when I picked it up and all the brackets are where they are supposed to be and the AC lines look unharmed. They charged me $150, which I suppose is fair enough. Maybe the boards are dealer add-ons often enough and they just know the trick. Either way, the boards look great. I'm pissed at myself for not figuring it out on my own, :eek: but overall I'm still satisfied. :cool: Thanks for all the help everyone.

I have an 2006 XLT. I added the factory boards meant for a Limited model. I just pulled the lines down just far enough to get the screws in and it worked out. I never really tightened the screws all the way up but I will one day.

Why did you want them that bad in the first place? My 06 came with them, i drove it home from the dealership and took both of them off BEFORE i even washed my Ex. i still have them because i may want to put them back on later

Why did you want them that bad in the first place? My 06 came with them, i drove it home from the dealership and took both of them off BEFORE i even washed my Ex. i still have them because i may want to put them back on later

My wife wanted them on the truck, so she and my daughter could get in and out easier. Pretty practical reason I thought.

My wife wanted them on the truck, so she and my daughter could get in and out easier. Pretty practical reason I thought.
well, i guess thats a good enough reason. I just wanted them off because it makes the truck look higher, even though the frame sticks down i still like the way they look when there off the Ex. Plus i offroad in my truck and i am worried i will break one of them and at $500 bucks i can't afford to replace them if i break them.
:D:D

well, i guess thats a good enough reason. I just wanted them off because it makes the truck look higher, even though the frame sticks down i still like the way they look when there off the Ex. Plus i offroad in my truck and i am worried i will break one of them and at $500 bucks i can't afford to replace them if i break them.
:D:D

That's why you should have gotten the power running boards like I have on my 07 EB :)

That's why you should have gotten the power running boards like I have on my 07 EB :)

Great so you want me to break the running boards that cost even more?:(

Great so you want me to break the running boards that cost even more?:(

They aren't as fragile as you think. Actually I was impressed at how strong they are and they seem to be much more sturdy than the permanent mount ones. I'm thinking that it might be a case of Ford thinking it was something vulnerable so they overengineered it.

They are all metal, no plastic...and I've always wanted to put a row of orange on them to see how much juice I could get when they close :)

They aren't as fragile as you think. Actually I was impressed at how strong they are and they seem to be much more sturdy than the permanent mount ones. I'm thinking that it might be a case of Ford thinking it was something vulnerable so they overengineered it.

They are all metal, no plastic...and I've always wanted to put a row of orange on them to see how much juice I could get when they close :)

As you can see from my initial post i LIKE THE WAY THE EX LOOKS WITH OUT THE RUNNING BOARDS so i took them off

As you can see from my initial post i LIKE THE WAY THE EX LOOKS WITH OUT THE RUNNING BOARDS so i took them off

ok ok...my point was that the power ones that fold up make the explorer look like it doesn't have any at all.

I'm sorry I was trying to force you to put them back on :)

ok ok...my point was that the power ones that fold up make the explorer look like it doesn't have any at all.

I'm sorry I was trying to force you to put them back on :)

Oh, I didn't know that they folded, hey how much do you think they are, i though they just had lights in them.

$$$ is kinda tight right now but i think i could spare a couple hundred bucks to get them cause i really did like having them on cause it makes it easier to wash the front of the roof, for the back i just stand on the rear tire.:D:D:D

I couldn't tell you how much they would be after market. I'm sure they aren't cheap.

I thought that their might be a video of them going up and down on youtube or something, but nothing. I do have a photo of mine folded up (they go up and down automatically when you open a door or you can set them to stay up or stay down)

Here is the photo:

Explorer.jpg

Nice truck, jeeden! :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back