• Register Today It's free!

Suspension thunk noise

99ExploratorySUV

Reaction score
City, State
Voorhees, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 4x4 SOHC XLT
I've noticed that when I go over bumps/potholes, make turns, and now when accelerating from a stop, I hear a thunk underneath the car, (sounds like its coming from somewhere up front). It is not consistent with engine speed or anything like that, it has to be suspension. Any thoughts? I've never done ball joints, upper control arms or anything. Car has 140,000 on it. Any help is much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 96 did that a while back. Turned out to be a broken sway bar link. Ford issued a recall to fix it too.

I'll check mine, but I just actually replaced my front sway bar links maybe 6 months ago cuz they were broken. I'll check it out though

I'll check mine, but I just actually replaced my front sway bar links maybe 6 months ago cuz they were broken. I'll check it out though

I had multiple thumps hitting bumps/potholes. First I replaced the sway bar links (one was broken, the other loose with worn out bushings). The loudest noises went away but there was still thuds hitting bumps. Next I replaced the lower ball joints (which were shot), and upper ball joints and tie rods too. Since I was taking apart the front suspension anyways to replaced the lowers, I figured I'd spent a little extra to replace everything I could, since I couldn't remember how long it had been since they were previously replaced, and I didn't want to take a chance on replacing the lower BJ's, to find out they might not solve the problem. Doing all the work yourself, the parts to replace everything still costs less than having a shop just replace the lower BJ's, so its well worth it in my opinion

Balljoints- the most suspect things in these mate, they dont last long for most people- check that out first!

Thanks for all the replies. I did check my swar bar end links, they were all good, cuz they had been replaced recently. I'll have to look more into the ball joints, im sure you guys are probably right. What symptoms should I look for besides the thumping noise to diagnose shot ball joints, and if they go without being replaced, how detrimental is it to the suspension?

Thanks for all the replies. I did check my swar bar end links, they were all good, cuz they had been replaced recently. I'll have to look more into the ball joints, im sure you guys are probably right. What symptoms should I look for besides the thumping noise to diagnose shot ball joints, and if they go without being replaced, how detrimental is it to the suspension?

To check the balljoints, you can jack up the wheels under the control arms, and check for any play in the wheel by pushing back and forth on the top and bottom of the tire. It should not rock at all (even a millimeter).

If you don't replace them, and they get bad enough to where they break, you'll probably end up in a ditch, hopefully not upside down and dead (from what I've heard on here). I valued my safety when I read things like that so I replaced them asap.

I think I paid $25 each for Carquest (Moog's) on eBay, versus $40 or so at the store. Check out the sticky thread on here for the replacement instructions, which i believe also have diagnosis info.

Back