My plans for a homemade roof rack | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My plans for a homemade roof rack

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Finally got some shots of it mounted. For the mounting feet I ended up just making some L brackets from 1 1/4 x 3/16 flat bar. Right now they're just screwed to the rack with self tapping screws. Before I put any weight on it I'm planning on running a 3/8 bolt through each foot. I just got tired of drill a hole, charge the battery, drill a hole, charge the battery. I really need to get a corded drill.
6g8uit.jpg

orurkw.jpg

1zg5law.jpg

Here's a shot of how I mounted it to the rack with the stock hardware. The washers are there so the bolt doesn't screw down into the roof of the truck. eventually, I might cut them down so I can get rid of the washers, but for now it works for me.
o9kbw8.jpg

I just got tired of drill a hole, charge the battery, drill a hole, charge the battery. I really need to get a corded drill.

Or a better cordless:p:

You are inspiring me to make one, even though I don't really need one. But wouldn't it be handy though:)

To tell you the truth, I don't really need one either. I just like the way it looks. That, and I get bored easily. I just like to have something to do on the weekends. I've got some of the 1 1/4 flat bar left over that I'm going to use to make some tabs to mount rear facing lights. I'll probably just bolt it to the bottom of the rear cross bar pointing straight back. It'll be a good project for this weekend.

Oh wow! Dude props on this custom roof rack. You have inspired me lol

great job man, and props for all the thought and skill you put into it aswell.

just wanna point out that even though you used self tappers, you mights wanna end up going with nuts and bolts through the EMT further down the road if you plan on eventually using the rack. i know from experience that self tappers can rip and eventually strip out of EMT... I use to do electrical work in Florida, and thats happened a couple times. but otherwise great job, makes me wanna do something seeing i have a crap load of emt stuff sitting in my storage

one more thing i forgot to mention, those set screw couplings are great but if your going for strenghth and rigity you should change them out to compression couplings as it will hold better and last longer. if you took a look inside the set screw coupling you can see that when you tighten it down it makes an indentation in the emt and can eventually pull out, where as if you used the compression it compresses the whole pipe and doesnt damage it doing so and it takes a lot of force to make the compression couplings break

any pics of it installled yet?????

n if not, have u tested how much weight it'll hold?
i've heard horror stories off too much weight on the roof rack, n hittin bumps on the way home, and ending up with dents in ur roof where the rack is mounted

Back