4.7L vs 5.0L | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.7L vs 5.0L

What do ya guys think?
98 Windsor 5.0L V8 Explorer XLT vs 03 Magnum 4.7L V8 Durango SXT Sport

Durango 2WD [Stock]: 235hp
Explorer AWD [Stock]: 215hp

She said she'll race me, but won't make a bet because I have the intake and catback.

She's completely stock, and her truck came with 30" tires.
I've got a MAC CAI/MAC Catback, 3.73LS Gear Ratio and 31" tires.

She also has probably around 1000Lbs give or take more weight than me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The weight difference isn't that much, yours weighs about 4500lbs. The AWD wheel hp number is more like 190hp. I wouldn't bet, unless you had a better PCM tune, a flasher. The Explorer leaves real well from a start. If you gained a big lead you would likely win. Good luck,

PS, only run it through 2nd gear.

Like start off in 2nd? Or Manually shift and don't shift into drive after 2nd...? I've noticed my truck has a lot more kick to it in 2nd gear.. around 3k rpm and 40mph..

It also has better acceleration with OD off..

Anymore comments on this? I'm pretty sure her truck weighs a lot more than mine...

On my Title thing it says 3100lbs and on hers it says 4200lbs.... I know it's not the door sticker.. but.. yea....

just kidding

When in 2nd, it's Just in 2nd... it doesn't start in 1st.....

I think he meant to start it in first, then manually shift to 2nd otherwise you would start off in 2nd gear and lose right off the bat. I still don't think you could win. Dakotas aren't as heavy as you think, and being 2wd there are less drivetrain losses. Not to mention racing is not a great idea except on the track where its legal...

Your truck weighs in the neighborhood of 4,400 pounds.

I never specified where the race would take place.
And it's a Durango, not a Dakota...

Manually shifting seems a little slower than having it automatically shift. [Damn, I want that Shift Kit]

Would you suppose the gain would be better manually shifting because I could shift at higher rpm's.. getting more power?..

You don't think my Intake/Catback put my truck closer to hers performance wise?... You guys are making this 5.0 sound not so great... =(

[But I still love it.. =D]

What do I check for on the stickers?...

The durango would probably spin off the line, use the AWD to your advantage. I say stall the convertor up a bit and launch that puppy!!!!:D

For what, the weight?

That durango weighs in pretty close to 4300 pounds seeing that its only 2wd. It'd be close, but I think she will still win.

Stall the converter? Like hold the brake down and rev n launch? Isn't that very bad?

Also.. I just checked... hers is 6050 lbs, mine is 5580lbs..

I'm sorry if I confused you about the "2nd gear comment." I meant that after you reach 3rd gear she would likely catch you or walk away from you.

Our 4R70W trans has a wide ratio, hence the "W" in the name. That means that the trans has a great 1st and 2nd gear, but the 3rd gear is still 1:1, a big jump from 2nd to 3rd gear change.

Those door tag numbers only help to figure out how much a vehicle can tow or haul. The Durango is a little larger, it likely will weigh 200-400lbs more than an AWD Explorer. Regards,

What exactly is stalling the converter? I thought that's bad on your engine/tranny?...

What exactly is stalling the converter? I thought that's bad on your engine/tranny?...

It's fine to do that for a very short time, like the few short seconds you might at a light.

So quickly rev to 2k rpm, n right when I let off the brake.. floor it? And I'll launch?

Erm.. how specifically do I do it? How far do I push it?

Stall the converter? Like hold the brake down and rev n launch? Isn't that very bad?

Also.. I just checked... hers is 6050 lbs, mine is 5580lbs..

That's not right. Neither an Explorer or Durango weigh close to 6000lbs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Durango. Fords are made to haul stuff. Geared as such- and with your AWD drivetrain loss, it would be close in 1st and part of 2nd, then she'll walk away. But at the end of the day she'll still own a Dodge. My grandfather owned a Dodge. :D

Back