Hello everyone, 37's on IFS

rmaz101

Reaction score
City, State
AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Hello everyone, 37's on 4x4 IFS

Hi everyone, I have never really posted on here before but have gotten many great ideas for my explorer from this site. I thought that I would share what my explorer has become as a result of this site. It has been a slow and steady process of change

I started with a stock 1996 explorer 4x4 and painted the rims.
3030400_6_full.jpg

Then I did a 3’body lift, tt, and got 33” bfg muds.
3030400_7_full.jpg

Then I decided that I really didn’t like the way the body lift looked in the back, soon there after I came across the idea of a sloped body and SOA. Here are some in progress shots and the finished look.

This is it with a sloped bodylift and no SOA
3030400_8_full.jpg

This is it with a sloped bodylift and SOA finished
3030400_9_full.jpg

Since I had to really crank the torsion bars to level out the SOA, I finally sucked it up and got a superlift kit for the front, here is what that looked like.
3030400_10_full.jpg

3030400_11_full.jpg

3030400_12_full.jpg

Then I had a lot of extra room in the wheel wells and came across a really great deal some 37” BFG projects and I always wanted to get bigger rims like 17's... so with a little extra fender hacking and hammering they fit just fine, and yes I did change the gears. I went with 4:88 yukon gears front and rear.

Here is what that looks like;
3030400_13_full.jpg

And this is what my 1996 explorer 4x4 looks like today with 4' Superlift, 3-0' Sloped bodylift, SOA, 37' BFG Projects, and 17x9 procomp 1079 rims.
3030400_1_full.jpg

Let me know what you guys think.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is one FANTASTIC looking X. :thumbsup:

Very good looking Ex! Nice to see ya posting :)

Welcome! :)

Well, the first set of pics is great!

The second set, the wheels don't sit right in the first pic, and the second pic (the rims are great) those tires would look better with tread on the sidewalls... they look overinflated.

The vehicle is a beauty tho!

It looks really good! Just one comment, the shadow of the trees in the last couple pics make the truck kinda hard to see to me, you should take some new pictures in the sunlight. Good work on the explorer though.

What kind of tires are those? Not the brand but they almost look like big rig tires. Are they passenger truck tires?

What kind of tires are those? Not the brand but they almost look like big rig tires. Are they passenger truck tires?

They are BFG Projects, also called Bfg baja's. They are well known in the desert racing community. To answer your question, yes they are passenger truck tires.

welcome and nice explorer u got there

looks good, If you want to run it we need to meet up, I'll help you push that thing to the limits. Come run Crown King with us on Easter Sunday if you don't have commitments.

The rims are great!

They are BFG Projects, also called Bfg baja's. They are well known in the desert racing community. To answer your question, yes they are passenger truck tires.

That idea will be borrowed, if you don't mind. Very nice!

looks good, If you want to run it we need to meet up, I'll help you push that thing to the limits. Come run Crown King with us on Easter Sunday if you don't have commitments.

I would love to go check that out but I gotta work that day.

oh, and I'd be happy to find a home for your old wheels and tires. I'm working on a setup to house 2 spares and like to have 4 on hand for future Whiplash racing.

You can have em, if you come get them, just taking up space in my garage anyway.

I like it man

How much did you spend on the tires if i may ask

that thing is huge.. i would go with 35's next time, the 37's look kinda funny to me

Cheford said:
You my hero.....i've been wanting to lift my 1997 Ford explorer for the longest time but i am new at this and have no clue how. i love the look of yours and that's what i want mine to look like, can you please tell me what you did in detail and let me know what i will need?

Thanks man, what you would need to buy is;

4” Superlift for the front only [Part #’s 9633 and 9637] (I got mine from summit racing).
3” Body lift [part # PA 853]
New gears I went with a 4:88 ratio
What you will need to do is;

SOA in the rear (SOA = spring over axel)
Modify the body lift as described in this post

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127121&highlight=sloped+body+lift

This also describes how to do the SOA very well.
Trim the front fenders (if you want to run 37’s)

By the way there is a guy on here right now trying to sell the same superlift kit for dirt cheap. Only like $550 don’t know where you are, but he is in Indiana. Don’t know if he is willing to ship. I paid somewhere around $1,400 for mine.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1889828&highlight=superlift+cheap#post1889828

Whats up Robert, hope you get the email to this reply.

We gotta get out in the desert sometime soon again. We're getting a decent sized group in the PHX area now need to represent.

I got a new cell and lost your number in the old one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What do I think? I think it looks good! With the clear corners, did you remove the orange reflectors, or did you by aftermarket?

What else do I think? I think your IFS isn't liking the 37's:D

Back