Soa or 4dr leaf swap? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Soa or 4dr leaf swap?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok than locking it up I will do.

..i third that...:D

...getting her locked will cause you to hurry up and get your btf stuff...;)

Ok so I went to buy the aussie locker but they're on back order so it won't be in for awhile. Since I am 2wd and I don't plan on doing a bunch of trail runs how effective is it for what I wanna do? Like at pismo, glamis, washes, whoops, etc, etc.... For trails and rock crawling Kelly wants to buy a jeep now, so sometime in the future we'll have a desert ex, and a rock crawler. But screw the jeep I need to finish my truck first. :D

There are two things that having a transfer case will give you..

one of course is 4x4 (more tires pulling).. other is low range which give you more oomph..

Having a locker will allow your 2wd to get places you really shouldn't be :). The issue you will notice is if your needing the extra grunt of low range you won't have it (normally not needed for wash running etc)..

You can get pretty far with just a rear locker...

Here's a few pics of our old 2wd vehicle with a locker going where it really shouldn't be.
needing more ground clearance
stuck2.jpg

can't do this w/out a locker
climb1.jpg

or this...
off-road1.jpg

I really shouldn't have been here
almosttrip.jpg

RTI of 504 on a 20 degree ramp.. :)
van-right-side-view.jpg

Soo... as you can see a locker will make a world of difference, you just won't able to crawl (not enough low end power) but you will be able to get much farther off the beat and track.

~Mark

sounds good. ill be eagerly awaiting my locker in the mail.:)

mark, you always off-road the craziest cars. conversion vans, neons :confused:

Just want to clarify, the Deaver G50 pack will fit on explorers? And with extended shackles? I can't seem to find consistent answers. And are these about 2 1/2" over stock?

According to everything ive read and was told the g50's will fit on our explorers. You do need extended/modified shackles. They are pricey but camburg sells some sweet shackles to do this.

Attachments

• Shackle.jpg
    Shackle.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 150

i keep getting mixed stories too! i've seen in person explorers with stock shackles and the g50 pack, but maybe they didn't actually work right? :dunno:

well i'll let you know in a few weeks if they fit or not :cool:

i keep getting mixed stories too! i've seen in person explorers with stock shackles and the g50 pack, but maybe they didn't actually work right? :dunno:

well i'll let you know in a few weeks if they fit or not :cool:

You need the longer shackles with the angle because the g50 pack is actually shorter than an explorer pack. The stock shackles will hit the frame and snap off. According to the burg anway...

hmm but if a shackle like that is needed, it looks pretty easy to make.

well see now i heard that the ranger G50 pack is longer than the explorer pack (G50E?) and that all they do is shorten the g50 pack for the explorers. what if you just run the warrior shackle? it doesn't have that bend but it gives more clearance than stock.

this whole thing makes me ----> :confused:

well see now i heard that the ranger G50 pack is longer than the explorer pack (G50E?) and that all they do is shorten the g50 pack for the explorers. what if you just run the warrior shackle? it doesn't have that bend but it gives more clearance than stock.

this whole thing makes me ----> :confused:

Ill get to the bottom of this...Im gonna call deaver directly and ask for measurements...

I anxiously await your clarification Sean.

hopefuly sean will get the exact measurement. but from the center bolt to the center of the rear eye is:

stock spring = 31"s

G50 = 32"s

Back