• Register Today It's free!

Worn front spindle

BExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Mirabel, Quebec, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
94' XL 4x4
The inside of my fronts spindle are worn out. This causes the right front shaft (the long one) to pop out (not completely) and grind even more of the inner spindle. I say that because if I remember correctly, I should have to remove the clip on the end of the shaft in order to remove it (or the spindle), but I dont need to do that any more, it goes true.Do some of you have any pics of a GOOD spindle so I can compare, I dont know how it should look. I want to buy some used ones (new ones are out of price $345 each), but want to bee sure they are in good condition, at $100 a pieces I dont want to end up with the same has mine:mad:.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just get some used units from a wrecking yard. This way you can compare them and have a backup set.

The inside of my fronts spindle are worn out. This causes the right front shaft (the long one) to pop out (not completely) and grind even more of the inner spindle. I say that because if I remember correctly, I should have to remove the clip on the end of the shaft in order to remove it (or the spindle), but I dont need to do that any more, it goes true.Do some of you have any pics of a GOOD spindle so I can compare, I dont know how it should look. I want to buy some used ones (new ones are out of price $345 each), but want to bee sure they are in good condition, at $100 a pieces I dont want to end up with the same has mine:mad:.

I'm confused :confused: Are you sure talking about HUBs or a spindle? A spindle is pictured below

Steering_knuckle_labels_WEB.jpg

Maybe he didn't put the splined washer back on before the C-clip and the axle shaft is slipping inward and out of the spindle?

Spindle it is

It is the spindle I am talking about, the axle shaft is slipping inward as WickedWindsor says. My memory tells me that there is suppose to be some kind of rim on the inner of the spindle to block the shaft from going inward. I dont remember any splined washer going before the c-clip ???? Or did I run without it for all those years ??? I'm running Warn manual hubs (converted several years ago. What would that splined washer look like ?:wtf:

Axle.gif

axle1.gif

Hubs

I will look what I have left from the old auto-hubs, and see if i still got the installation instruction from Warn, maybe I missed someting back then.Specaily the axle shaft spacer that would look like a solution to my problem :confused:

Yeah!!

I feel a little dumb :banghead:, been running all these years without the spacer (7 years to be more precise), dont understand how it ran.... Now I have another question, about the seal on the shaft (the one beind the spindle/knukle assembly). Is it a 1 part or 2 part seal, the reason I'm asking is when I repalced mine 6 months ago, there was none left to compare and the dealer sold me a 2 part seal. When trying to install the axle shaft spacer I could not get the shaft out enought to install the snap ring. I then looked at the seal assembly and finally remove the plactic/metal ring part that looked like it was there for noting and it all came togheter great. Sorry if I cant explain more accuratly, I dont even know the part name, and it does not show on the exploded view in my manual..??? Can someone shed some more light on my darkened mind.

4x4's don't have spindles only 2wheel drives

4x4's don't have spindles only 2wheel drives

Wrong, as I said in his other thread, all front axles will have some sort of spindle. Look at the expanded view of the 4x4 axle a couple posts up. The spindle is clearly labeled.

then why is it on the lift kit sites say for instance my year Lift Spindles (for 2wheel drives only) thats what it says on the websites...

then why is it on the lift kit sites say for instance my year Lift Spindles (for 2wheel drives only) thats what it says on the websites...

Because lift spindles don't work on 4x4 because of the CV axle's. If you do a 3" spindle lift, for example, the CV joints will bind and fail. The spindle is in every kind of front axle.

the spindle (label) is pointing to the wrong thing it's actually the black piece in the pic :)

Back