• Register Today It's free!

What gears stock?

01export

Reaction score
City, State
Brunswick, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Explorer Sport 4x4
How do I find out what gears came in my sport stock 3.73s or 4.10s?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It isn't necessarily 4.10s or 3.73s... Take a look at your driver side door jamb and see what the axle code is...

DOORJAM-2.jpg

Im sorta not anywhere near my car right know, im in the middle east. I heard that you could look up the options your car came with with your vin # or something. I need to know because im putting 35s on my x and I need to know if i need gears or I could just use a progrqammer instead.

The lowest gear ratio you could get stock was 4.10. That's what i've got and with 33's it's a little bit low but still works. For 35s you'd want at least 4.56 i would think.

I'm not sure if the gear ratio is in the VIN number, I think which gears you had were considered an option like a sunroof or leather would be...

From what I found out, The vin tells you all the options, engine, etc... nt axle code.

-mc

You'll want atleast 4.56. I now have 4.88's with 33's, works well, just a hair low on the freeway. 4.88's would be perfect for 35s.
4.10's (stock on mine) were okay with 4.10's, but not desirable.

mine says D4 What is that?

im runnin 3.73 with 33's and its really not THAT bad....

im runnin 3.73 with 33's and its really not THAT bad....

Hey you got pics of your truck? I wanna do the BL on mine wondering what it will look like.

D4 is a limited slip 3.73

I have an 01 sport and have 3.73 stock. Im going to 35s within a month and with 33s havent had a problem. I havent seen an 01 to 03 sport with anything except 3.73. Its listed on my window sticker from when it was new as 3.73 standard. Hope this helps. Regardless of what it came with its gonna be horribly slow with 35s. Time to regear.

THis is what it says on the plate on my rear end: S614E73881F07.

My '01 Sport has 3.73s and 33s. With the CAI, cat-back exhaust, and tune, they are OK. Big drop in performance from the 32s, but still faster than a fully stock Explorer. 4.56s are on my wish list. IMO, 35s would need at least 4.56s.

Cool thanks guys! Ill probably put 4.88s. Im also gonna throw in a bamachip programmer. Anyone with bigger tires notice a differance?

The 3.73 was standard on the Sport, 4.10 was optional. *Generally* the 4.10 was in the 4x4 with the 16" wheels, but there are always exceptions.

There is no way to directly ascertain the axle ratio from the VIN. Any dealership (or those with access to as-built data) can enter the VIN into the system and find out what it was built with. The axle code is also on the door sticker inside the driver's side door jamb.

-Joe

'01export, with a stock tune, this thing is a dog with 33s. With the 93 octane "torque" tune, there is a big difference in performance, especially off the line. Downside is you have to use more expensive gas when running that tune. But I also have an 87 octane "mild" tune I can flash in anytime like when going on road trips. It still has all the trans calibration changes and speedo corrections for the larger diameter tires, just not as much power.

My tune was from Bamachips and I'm happy with it. You also might want to check out Henson Performance. James (jah81592) is a member here and a paying vendor. He seems to be alot more accessible when you need changes made to your tune.

I have an 01 Sport trac and it has no tag on the differential, it has D2 axle code. I bought a rebuilt 4.10 and the brake wheel cylinders will not fit the backing plates. everywhere I look, it says this fits. there is one other option, it's a 4.10 limited slip (posi) does anyone know if this is the right on?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back