RCD shock and mount numbers. | Page 20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RCD shock and mount numbers.

Hay cmax I'm curious as to what ever happened to your computer. Did you end up losing your CAD stuff or do you still have the schematics for the brackets?

Yes I lost all the CAD models. I took the bottom mount of and measured it last week. I can finish it up and get it on here if you guys need it. I just have to find my hand sketch of the top mount. I am going crazy with this conversion. Putting C/O in the rear too. I will post an update soon!!

CMAX

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry you lost all your stuff man, and I know I'd love to get a schematic of the brackets. It's not like I need them anytime really soon, so whenever you get to it works for me. Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Whats the reasoning behind that? And how is it set up?

Well, I have just not had the success with the 8.5 C/O up front that I was hoping. It just the wrong shock for the front, in my application. Therefore, I plan to put them in the back and use the 6.5" C/O in the front. Eventually, it will be a 3 link rear. I am just trying to use them up. Then I have a good ride all around. I just have to engineer my shock mounts for the rear points and see if the travel will be long enough. So far, everything is ok as long as I mount the bottom of the shock on top of the rear axle tube. I need to look into it further.

White96x, the 8.0 will probably work for your application because you have the camburg 6.0 setup.

CMAX

well i've had the coilovers on for about a year now...they're perfect for me the only thing i need to mess with is the spring rate...but why don't you just sell the 8.5 for some 6.5's i think it will be more trouble to keep them and force them to work in a three link it' s, as i'm sure you know, a lot of time/money/design..besides it's not like you're racing baja...

well i've had the coilovers on for about a year now...they're perfect for me the only thing i need to mess with is the spring rate...but why don't you just sell the 8.5 for some 6.5's i think it will be more trouble to keep them and force them to work in a three link it' s, as i'm sure you know, a lot of time/money/design..besides it's not like you're racing baja...

Well, I go to the sand dunes a few times a year. Good times!! Anyways, coilovers are not just for baja. I have always planned on going with coilovers all around and mines well. The 8.5 C/O will work for my rear with a few mounting modifications. Nothing extreme and the 6.5 is way cheaper than the 8.5" coilovers. I am going to do the engineering before I buy anything just to make sure its worth it.

Say...did you get your new springs in yet?

CMAX

Those 8.5" coilovers will be to short for a rear application using a 3 link, and probably even with a leaf spring setup if unhook your sway bar.

Those 8.5" coilovers will be to short for a rear application using a 3 link, and probably even with a leaf spring setup if unhook your sway bar.

i second that...for multiple reasons....
and i know c/o's in the rear aren't strictly for baja i was just trying to make the point that with c/o up front and leafs in the rear you'll still do great in the sand...
And no, i haven't gotten the new springs on yet, probably won't be until summer when i'm back home...but the plans for summer are: 2.0 air bump up front, swap the springs, and build an under the floor rear hoop and run a 2.5" shock...

And when you add your current coils with the springs you have plus rear leafs = an incredibly crappy ride.

Wait, wait....i had to reread it, you said 3 link eventually...? so you're planning on running coilovers with leaf springs....thats ridiculous, if you're that concerned with ride quality get some deavers or national leaf springs and run a shock that is revalveable that way you can dial it in rather than wasting time/money on tabbing your rearend to run a coilover and feeling that you 'have' to use the 8.5" coilovers just b/c you have them(sell them and buy some 2.5" diam shocks)...i think you will be very unhappy if you try to run a coilover and a leaf spring at the same time...

Guys, Guys, Guys......I do not plan to run the springs with the coilovers. Just the shock until the I do go to a 3 link setup. I plan to use the stock upper rear shock mount with an easy bolt in coilover mount. I will remove the rear sway bar and use that as a lower mount. This is temporary!! If I sell the 8.5's I will loose money on my investment. If I invest a few more bucks I will improve the ride quality in the rear. The superlift shocks are gone!! Let me get some pictures for visuals.

CMAX

ok well that makes a lot more sense...so essentially youre just going to be running a threaded body shock in the rear....done and done!

on rcd what are the lateral compression strut bars???? they come with 2 and connect to the rear cross member. We dont need these if we plan to do this converison? what are they used for anyways?

They're used as extra support for the front cross members. Keeps the whole front from getting pushed back under the truck. Honestly I don't plan on jumping mine or hitting the dunes really hard, so I don't see a need for them. However, if I was I'd probably just make my own braces. That's really not hard, and I'm sure the RCD ones are ridiculously expensive.

Well i have a superlifted Ranger and i just called up RCD yesterday and i have all those brackets on order!!! I should be seeing these come in the mail next week. Now its time to pick me up some 750lbs hypercoils and some Fox Sturts!!! :)

Rock on man. Did you get the braces too, or just the shock stuff?

Rock on man. Did you get the braces too, or just the shock stuff?

For now i only got the brackets, no braces!!! If i have to ill make some to better support that rear crossmember. Shouldnt be too hard nor expensive, plus i know how to weld sooo I think im good to go! If all else fails i could always price those RCD braces if need be but for now i dont see the need for them!

Sounds like you've got a plan then. I was thinking the other day that when I get around to doing this (need and engine first) I might just use the t-bars as braces. Cut em to length and weld some mounting flanges on the ends so they bolt up where I'd want em. Again this was just a quick thought in the middle of a really boring class lol. I still don't think I'll need them though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back