My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips | Page 74 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Too many variables to make a useful prediction.

well i lowered it, took off the roofrack crossmembers,, using stock width tires. the engine is remanufactured and fairly low mileage

...i just seen this and was wondering what your thoughts were on it...there is also a popup during the video for another product...:scratch:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/524517/double_your_gas_mileage_2x/

full synthetic oil.. yes, can help.
changing plugs and plug wires; yes, can help.
same with air filter.
proper tire inflation also helps, yes.

but acetone?
there's several threads on here regarding this. I believe the conclusions came down to; it helped, a little, but didn't offset the cost (or something like that). Nobody most definately got a 10mpg increase out of 2 oz of acetone.

and a popup during the video for another product? I didn't see that (but I also have a popup blocker)

...that is what i was reffering to, the acetone...i also thought the doubling of the mpg from those few things as shown only, was a little bit of a stretch...:scratch:

...his scan gauge shows 12 mpg, then he says it gets 17 mpg, and with the few fixes before the acetone, he shows 24 mpg...

This seems like a god place to ask... how much of an impact do you guys think having no front airdam makes on fuel mileage? Would it be as much as -2.5mpg?

This seems like a god place to ask... how much of an impact do you guys think having no front airdam makes on fuel mileage? Would it be as much as -2.5mpg?

Are you referring to an aftermarket air dam such as from EE?

Are you referring to an aftermarket air dam such as from EE?

No, the stock airdam... or perhaps it's called a lower valance.

I feel certain it would have some effect on gas mileage but nowhere near 2.5 MPG.

...that is what i was reffering to, the acetone...i also thought the doubling of the mpg from those few things as shown only, was a little bit of a stretch...:scratch:.

One hell of a stretch.

...thanks for the reply...:thumbsup:...i knew if anyone had the real answer, you would..;)

...i already do all of the above and have for years, but i was wondering if i had missed something on the newer vehicles...:salute:

very nice... thats my list... haha

ive been watching this thread... and have been checking out everything aldive have done to his explorer... getting ready to tackle my explorer to achieve 30mpg...

I used to have a 1988 GMC S15 pickup 2.5L 5speed with 3.73:1 gears... achieved 30mpg on daily driving and 32mpg when grandma driving it on long trips... 25mpg when driving it hard...

1997 mistsu eclipse... 2.0L non turbo 5 speed... achieved 36mpg doing 90mph on the highway on long trip... and 35mpg doing 100mph on highway on same trip back...

2000 Ford explorer... auto4x4 4.0L sohc 5speed automatic 3.73:1 LS... achieved 22mpg just by tuneup so far... have a mustang 4.6L tb im getting ready to polish, port, and half shaft... and custom built cold air intake... more mods soon to come...

the list i have up... everytime i find other info... fact info... i add it to the list...

aldive gave me motivation to get more gas mileage out of my explorer... thanks...

According to this article, you might not be getting the full amount of gallons in your tank when you fill up: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24296879/. It states that some pumps start to charge before the gas enters your vehicle.

that's no real surprise.
plus, where is it measured at?
it doesn't measure the amount at the nozzle itself, does it?
so what about all the gas left in the hose?

Agreed, interesting. In general I agree with their conclusions, though here are my experiences with my '93:

Test #1 Aggressive Driving vs. Moderate Driving
Their Result: Major savings potential
My Result: Driving like a jerk burns gas, but so does driving like a grandmother. I get better gas mileage by firmly, but not aggressively, getting into OD as quickly as possible.

Test #2 Lower Speeds Saves Gas
Their Result: Substantial savings on a long trip
My Result: Absolutely true for any driving. I actually find there's not a huge loss in mpg going from 55 to about 65 mph. But anything over 65 mph really starts burning fuel.

Test #3 Use Cruise Control
Their Result: Surprisingly effective way to save gas
My Result: Great unless you drive hills. Then it performs worse than manual control.

Test #4 A/C On, Windows Up vs. A/C Off, Windows Down
Their Result: Nice in theory; not true in practice
My Result: The same. In fact, driving with the A/C Off and Windows Up doesn't make too much difference either.

Test #5 Check Your Tire Pressure
Their Result: Check your tire pressure often but don't expect a big savings.
My Result: Very important. A loss of 4 lbs. = a loss of almost 2 mpg for me.

Test #6 Avoid Excessive Idling
Their Result: More important than we assumed
My Result: Probably true. I do shut the engine off if I'm at a long stop (like a train crossing). But I don't think the added wear and tear on the engine makes it worthwhile for short stops (like at traffic lights, etc.)

I agree with your test #3, I learned long ago with my Lincoln and the message center to obtain better fuel mileage than a cruise control. With an instantaneous mpg reading you can control throttle up and down hills to do much better than a CC. Going up hills burns a whole lot of fuel, and almost nothing going down hills.

The trick is to know how much faster to go downhill and how much to let off the gas going up hills. With the mpg indicator you can watch the affects of throttle input. I highly recommend that everyone use such a device for best fuel economy. It's boring to do regularly, but I used to enjoy trying to beat a record going to work. I hit a high of about 25.5mpg long ago in my first Mark VII. I rarely get over 19mopg with my 99 4x4 going to work now.

...while you are on the subject...:scratch:...i'm wondering if there is anything like the scangauge tool for my X???...i know they are for 95 and later but the mpg and such would come in handy for my truck...:D
...or has anyone adapted some type of readout for the first gen's???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd be interested in one as well.

Back