replace torsion bars with coilovers? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

replace torsion bars with coilovers?

Premier

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 sport

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yep that's the thread that's gotten me looking at it. The member you'll looking to get info from put almost all of his info into that thread.

That thread is so long that I copied another copy of it into Duds and started cleaning it up to try to make sense out of it. I quit my "cleansing" after awhile but still figured out most of what I need to do.

agreed, that thread is a little bit messy..and as stated you could go tower or hoop for the upper mount...here's a picture of my set up

explorer002.jpg

explorer001.jpg

and mounted

updated003.jpg

updated008-1.jpg

this picture gives you an idea for the lower mount, it's just two shock tabs welded to the lower arm

EXPO008.jpg

you could either go that route and try to establish the geometry on your own or you could buy a pre fabbed tab that bolts into the lower arm...it essentially is a plate with a shock tab that bolts into the arm..companies like Camburg(www.camburg.com) sell it so people can run an upgraded shock that uses a bolt instead of a bushing for the lower eye of the shock...this route is probably the easiest, the only hard part is the upper tower(or hoop), and after that it's just a matter of selecting your spring rate and length of coilover shock(which you should already have in mind when designing the upper and lower mounting points)...hope that helps

Back