Found '95-'97 Explorer Body Lift | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Found '95-'97 Explorer Body Lift

Nate,
I have the lift on my '99. The hard part was the radiator, some bolts were too long, and the rear bumper relocation brackets don't work. With a little bit of work, the kit will fit fine. Although the truck may look weird with 235 tires. You should try 265's or larger. Give it a try, you'll like the way it looks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Luckily I've already got 31x10.5x15's on her. So what did you do about the bumper relocation? DO they look like they are the stock relocators for the Ranger, or does it look like something they fabbed?

Has ANYONE dealt with the rear bumper relocation issue?

I was wondrering...

Have any of you done a body lift with a K&N FIPK? I was wondering what had to be modified.. In other words, does the body lift effect the distance from the filter to the body, in which case the mounting bracket would have to be modified... I would LOVE some imput... Hope I'm not the first..

thanks guys :)

Jason

SDMIKE

SDMIKE,
Nice Truck! I really like the stance! One of these days I'd like to check out your truck in "person". I go to SD about once a month or so for meetings at the Chart House Restaurant down near the Convention Center. We are headed there on Wednesday as a matter of fact! Let me know if you want to get together for a few minutes in the late afternoon on Wednesday. If yes, E-Mail me directly.
Rick

I also bought the ranger body lift kit from Offroad Warehouse and the guy on the phone couldn't give me specifics. Can anyone tell me exactly what needs to be added/switched to make the lift kit work. I want to get all the parts i need before i start to take my baby apart. Thanks very much...

Bumper relocation Brackets need to be fabricated. I think they do that for you.

The man on the phone when I ordered the kit said I would need to buy some bolts from a hardware store, but he couldn't tell me for sure. He didn't say anything about the bumper brackets. Are you sure I don't need anything else? I want to be positive before I start disassembling. Thanks a bunch!

does anyone have any pictures. pictures of a complete truck, pictures of the relocation brackets etc. do you think i should do this myself or have it done at a 4x4 shop they want 1000 bucks including the parts and lift lips. thanks jeff

3" Lift Kit on a 95 Explorer

Hey guys, I'm back. It's been a while, but I finally installed the lift kit on my 95 Eddie Bauer! I installed the 3" kit by Performance Accesories. I just did it this weekend. It was actually very simple, but it took us about eight hours to finish it. We would have been done in aobut in about six, but ran into some problems. The steering column extension did not fit on the female side. It seems they did not finish drilling the groove. I had to enlarge the opening using an air grinder. I also had to make my own rear bumper brackets. I just used a metal plate about 1/4" thick to raise the existing brackets. I had to cut out a few notches to the bottom of the bumper lip and the existing brackets. If you have any ???, email me I'll gladly answer to the best of my knowledge. I've got some pictures coming, email request for pics if you want.

-Hector

Hector,

What state do you live in? I am still considering the 3' lift for my '97. I would like to find someone local that has been through it already. Did you see the message on the Northern Illinois Explorer Clubs site regarding the 3" lift. It say's that you need to get the steering extension from the '95-'97 Ranger kit, but the lift kit for the '98-'00 Ranger. Is that what you did? I had an Off-road shop contact Performance Accessories a couple of weeks ago when I expressed an interest in using their kit for my Explorer. They basically told the shop that there is a reason they do not make the body lift for the late model Explorers, but they didn't say what that reason was. Everyone in authority seems to be advising against doing it. Can you detect any problems? It probably has a lot to do with all of the bad press of rolling Explorers lately.

Robert

ExplrLft3.jpg

3" body lift on my 95 Eddie Bauer

This is what it looks lik now. I'm looking for tires that are a little bit taller. I don't what to spend too much, so I'll keep the same wheels.
Robert, you can use the same kit for a 95-97 Ranger. The steering column extension will fit. I had problems with it because the manufacturer did not finish drilling the femail side of it wide enough. Here is a draft picture of what it looks like>>>>
SteeringExt.bmp
What I did to be able to insert it into my truck's shaft is to grind the female portion wider. I called Performance accessories and I'm getting a new one the fits. Like I said it's suppossed to fit, but the manufacturer did not finish the job.
As far as driving, it feels really good. The center of gravity is up higher, but you'll only feel it when you are traveling really fast. When I'm on the freeway doing 75 mph, I can feel it leaning just a tad-bit more when I jerk the steering wheel a bit. Other than that, it's really the same. Oh' one more thing, on the kit, you will need to buy 4 shorter bolts, but you can find those at home depot for 50 cents a piece. There is ten mounting bolts, but I gues the Rangers have fourteen, cuz the kit had fourteen lift blocks in it. I live in Phoenix, if you are ever down this way, I'll be willing to help you. You can come over to my house and in about six hours, we can do the job. Shoot me an email if you want hcervant@ci.phoenix.az.us
I've got a few Pictures Here
I ganrantee I'll have more shortly.

The kit cost me $135 +/- from Offroad Wharehouse in San Diego. They sip.
Hey Robert, question for you; I noticed you are running on 265 75R16 Michelins. I have 255/70R16, are they much taller than mine. Hey you live in Mesa, maybe we can get together some time. Send me an email.

Here is another draft, this one is of the rear bumper bracket extension plate. The rangers bracket will not fit your explorer, but it's really easy to make one. Check it out -------->>

bumperbracket.bmp

-Hector

Hey guys what about the original Question!
Would a lift work?

"He also indicated to me that the '91-'97s have the same Rear Ends, and the '95+s have the same Front End. Does this sound right?"

"If it is, couldn't we take the Superlift 5.5 rear and the front portion of a '98+ kit?"
If this info is true this would be a killer kit!

This makes sense, someone that knows this please answer!

Dave, what do you mean a "lift"? Body lift? or suspenssion lift? A body lift will definitely work, a suspension, I know not. I've thought about doing a suspension lift, but it's too expensive for me, and I haven't looked into it. I think if I need to go any higher, I can just easily do a torsion bar lift. It's got torsion bars on both the front and back.

-Hector

COOL - Phoenix :)

I live out in East Mesa but work just south of Sky Harbor in Phoenix. We could either do it at your place or mine. I have a garage with air tools and shop lights. My garage faces south, so the summer sun won't be shining in. I'll provide dinner and beverage for the help. CMartin91 and Arsoul both said they would be available to help as well. I would like to do it on a Saturday so that if it runs late I have Sunday to finish. How come you went with the '95-'97 Ranger kit? According to the write up at noiec.com the '98-'00 Ranger kit includes prober bumper relocation brackets (or ones that can be easily modified). I'll have to check when I get home tonight as to which shop I was in contact with in California regarding it. I know their price was right (about $20 less than the recommended supplier on noiec.com) however they were the ones that advised me not to try and use the lift per PA. According to your drawing, the brackets look like a flat piece of metal with some holes in it. Is that correct? We have a machine shop here at work with quite an assortment of metals and plates that I could probably get ahold of. In your picture I noticed that your rear bumper wasn't raised. Are these brackets for the front? What kind of availability do you have?

Your Explorer looks great at the new height. Regarding my tires, they calculate to 31.7" high versus the 30.1" for the original Firestones. They are also 10mm wider. I had to cut about 1 square inch of plastic at the back of my front wheel wells to clear them, but no lift was required. When my front tire is shoved up into the wheel well as far as it will go, I can't fit my pinky finger between my tire and my fender so I could use the extra 3". The size gives me an extra 3/4" under my differentials. It is a happy balance since I could hardly detect a performance loss and the added traction and clearance is well worth it. With the 4.10s the overall ratio works out to be the same as the 235 75/15s with a 3.73 so the engine is still being ran at a proper RPM range.

Me and a guy from work are considering going to Bulldog Canyon Saturday. You are welcome to come along if you want. Bulldog is just off Usary Pass and runs along the base of the Superstition Mountains. It is about 5 minutes from my house. It will probably only be a couple of hours and we are talking about leaving around 10:30-11:00 when my Wife gets home. Send me an e-mail to reberhardt@qwest.net if you want to go Saturday and leave my your phone number. It would give me a chance to check out your lift.

Robert, check your email; I've just send you my contact info. Maybe we can meet for lunch, I work downtown.

The bumper brakets for the 00-01 kit!

All you have to do is beat them with a hammer flat! just check out NOIEC.COM and if you have any further questions let me know.

I thought the bumper brackets to use (at least on my '97) came from the '98-'00 kit? Are there three kits or does the '00-'01 kit you are mentioning cover the Rangers back to '98? Or are you saying the newer Ranger kit's bumper brackets will work on the '00-'01 Explorers (with a little beating)?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As far as I know there are different kits. One for manual tranny, one for Auto, and one for 97 models since the steering adapter is different!

What you need to do is! Get a 90-01 kit! Beat the hell out of the bumper brackets make them flat! Then drill a hole between the 2 hold in the frame where the bumper originally mounted.

The bolts that hold the bumper on at attached! Cut the piece between the 2 and use this to mount the bumper back on. I hope this helps! If you need 100% clarification PM 2001EXPsport matt has done 6 body lifts he also helped me with mine! He is the one who did the write up on the NOIEC.COM

Back