Best battery for 98 Explorer 4.0 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best battery for 98 Explorer 4.0

not me,, i begin to worship,
also used some of his tips,, get over 25 mpg now myself,
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i drive downhill all the time and get 100 plus mpg with the engine off

or you could get the ECU reprogrammed for a leaner setting just off idle with reduced timing, sure its bad for emissions but the mileage is great :D...for a truck. A big jump on the highway would be spending several hundred dollars and installing 2:73 gears if you have 3:55s etc :)... quite a bit is driving style though.

I have read some, when someone says they get over 38 mpg with an Explorer
I begin to wonder:confused:

as far as i know Aldive's top mileage rating to date is 36.4...:D

If you plan on keeping the car for awhile, I rec you pick up a battery from an auto parts store close to your house that is open 7 days a week. Johnson Controls makes the batteries for most of the big companies. Interstate makes the rest. So, if it is a Napa, Autozone, Walmart, Sears etc, the battery is probably made by JC. I have found that most batteries will have a problem a few years down the road. They are all well guaranteed. So now, I buy the AZ battery near my house. Had a Napa battery go on a Friday night and had to wait until Monday to get it replaced.

Johnson controls makes both the Optima and supplies all the Sears Die Hards. They also supply batteries to Interstate. Retailers like Autozone can have multiple suppliers but I believe their "Gold?" series is supplied by JC. I know JC also supplies some of the walmart batteries. However, the cheaper batteries at major retailers I suspect are being supplied by someone else. Napa gets their batteries from Deca, and not JC. Also, Exide also makes many rebranded batteries. If you can figure out who is supplying the battery, try to get a JC if you can and avoid Exide.

Also, I had a Optima in my boat that failed. I got it replaced under warrentee, and have been happy ever since.

My bad. Didn't notice you already bought the Bosch. It's really an Exide with a Bosch label. Good luck.

Back