Los Angeles - Dallas | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Los Angeles - Dallas

So I'll be driving to LA to Dallas some time soon. Are mud-terrains ok for long driving? I'll be driving approx. 1,450 miles. I got 30's on stock 15's.

2146670_24_full.jpg

2146670_25_full.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well, definitely not the tire of choice for long distance driving, but they a re just gonna wear down a bit. you'll be fine. might be able to find a set of stock takeoffs on craigslist or something for the trip though, probably get you better mileage.

They'll be fine, just make sure the pressure is good. There may be a slight road hum from the tread, but I'm sure you know that...

NO, I'll trade you for some almost brand new Michillins on Stock Sport wheels:D

Stay off the 101 if you can... fellas are gettin' blasted by some freaks.

i would say go for it,, make the trip,,

i just did one about the same distance , in Canada ,i went from Toronto to almost Winnipeg ,that's like driving from buffalo to the west side of minnesota,,21 hours of driving, it was a bit colder, but it went fine,,
i have about the same size tires on my truck as well, and it was good,, tread will be a bit noisy, and the tread will wear just a bit, ,
best thing i did was have a fresh oil change the day before i left on the trip,i had them put in new synthetic oil, :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm in Dallas now. 1,450 miles total, spent about close to $300 on gas. Price varied from $3.50 - $5.00 a gallon. Did an average and it was around $4 a gallon. My X did pretty good I guess..... 19.5 miles to a gallon. Did an average speed of 70-75 mph. :D

Did you stop in Van Horn and go to the Pizza Hut?

...Tell my Ex's in Texas I said "Hey"...:D

...Just curious but what tires did you end up using for the trip..???

...Tell my Ex's in Texas I said "Hey"...:D

...Just curious but what tires did you end up using for the trip..???

Actually it's "Hey Y'all!" :D

I used the same BFG MTs. I noticed my right rear tire worn out more but even though. Must be the weight of the gas tank. I'll switch the right rear with the left rear to even them out. All 3 tires are still ok. Didn't even notice any wear but I'm sure I did a little.

Back