broken flexplate-what do i check for tranny damage? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

broken flexplate-what do i check for tranny damage?

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
City, State
yorkville,ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
91ranger4x4
hey guys i know next to nothing about slush boxes.my neighbor who just had a few vertibrae fused in his back asked me to look at his 96, 4.0l, 2wd, auto explorer since it broke down the other day.

i pulled the starter and found that the torque converter and flexplate aren't attached to the motor any more.:eek:

i've read a little here and around that its a relatively common issue. also a little about torque converter support bushings in the pump going bad?

could this be the cause of the broken flexplate?(no support?)

also any tips on checking for possible damage that could happen in this situation would be greatly appreciated,i don't want to take the tranny out more than once.

he said it rattled and banged pretty loud when it happened so it got me wondering what else needs to be done,this site has some real knowledgeable tranny guys i figured i should post up. thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

few pics
KIF_0351.jpg

KIF_0353.jpg

maybe this was the reason it broke lol!
KIF_0352.jpg

it broke around the center hub,i'm hoping the torque converter isen't too galled to center in the hub

lol i thought it was one piece since the spacer stuck to what was left of the flywheel bolted to the crank. the beating it took from the torque converter opened up the centering hole so i guess its one more thing to buy.

good tip brooklynbay,would a simple interseach turn up a retailer for the spacer?
i'll have to make sure i get the right one,i can't remember if 96 is the transition year for 6 to 8 bolts.

what do you think about the cause of the break?the spacer was fine, could a worn support bushing in the front pump fatique the flexplate like that?i'm going to suggest an inspection by a tranny shop.

96 is 5 bolts (pictured) the 8 bolts are MUCH closer together

the trans needs to come out of the truck, then you will learn more

If the front pump seal on the transmission is not leaking, I vote dont mess with it.
How many miles are on this transmission?

check the transmission bellhousing for any kind of cracks... they tend to snap flexplates....

sorry for letting this thread gather dust. i subscribed but didn't get notified of responses:confused:.

i got a new spacer,flexplate,and front pump seals.its been rebuilt at some point(the truck has 200,000 on it).

deburred the nub on the torque converter and put it back together.hes got several thousand miles on it so far without issue.

thanks for your help, rick

ford spacer unfortunately,i gave the guy his options and at least he chose to use a ford flexplate instead of the napa or kragen crap that was in there before

Before you put it in I would make sure you have both of the dowel pins that align the trans and the engine together. I put in two tranies in my 91 and realized after the second failure like this I only had one alignment pin.

Back