• Register Today It's free!

Help Help Help!!!

Harry Polis

Reaction score
City, State
Lugoff, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer Sport
I am new to this forum and have joined it for the sole reason I am at a dead end. I am trying to replace the factory stereo with a Kenwood stereo. I have all of the parts I need for this project and I have already started...I just can't figure out what I am doing wrong. The Kenwood stereo I have is an older one (KDC-2011S). So, let me tell you where I am at. I pulled the factory stereo out of the car and there are two connectors (not including where the antenna plugs in) on the back of the factory stereo. I bought the wiring harness for 1998 Ford Explorer Sport (I think Dynex (Best Buy) brand.) I connected all of the wires from the Kenwood system to the wires on the Ford harness...plugged in in and nothing happened. There is another cord left that I haven't used (I think it may supply power to the unit, but I am not sure.) I am so frustrated right now. Can someone point me in the right direction?????

Harry

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the black, yellow, and red wires from the Kenwood pigtail for having a bad connection.

/Bad splices raise prices or something like that.

Check the black, yellow, and red wires from the Kenwood pigtail for having a bad connection.

/Bad splices raise prices or something like that.

Does the other connector from the Explorer have anything to do with the radio not functioning? What if all of those connections are good? Any other suggestions? I am crimping the wires from the Kenwood pigtail to the Ford wiring harness. Is crimping bad? I am using "butt-end connectiors". BTW, thank for your help!!! I really appreciate it.

Harry

welcome harry

If it isn't powering up the problem should be in the black red or yellow. You need the other wires for such things as getting sound.

As far as crimp connectors go.... they can give a good connection and they are quick. If you haven't got much experience you can easily make a bad crimp though. Give a tug on the wires. If they pull out or wiggle around then the crimp didn't work and you need to redo it.

Also, not all crimping pliers are of equal quality. The common type that makes a symmetrical crimp that's convex on both sides is very difficult to make a good crimp with. Some crimping pliers have a different shape so that your crimp will be concave on one side and convex on the other. These are much easier to use.

If it turns out your crimps aren't working out well, you may find that soldering is much easier but takes a little more time.

Anyway you could snap a pic of what you have hooked up? I agree with JohnJ about the crimpers. A decent pair will save you a lot of headaches.

Pictures!!!

Fixed the problem...

Can anyone help me with this one? I need your help... :)

Harry

i agree with checking the fuses. in the car and in the radio. all of your connections seem to be good, so if it isnt a fuse, you may have a dead cd player. i know you said it is an older model, but is it new or used? if it is used, was it working when it came out of the other car?

wireing

my fav site is www.12volt.com gives you all the answers try it it will help

Now what?!?!

Okay, so I checked all of the fuses. They look fine. Although some appear to be corroded. (Can a fuse even corrode?) Some of the fuses are probably the original fuses that were put in the vehicle at the time it was manufactured.

No one ever told me anthing about the gray connector that is coming from the vehicle...does anyone know what the heck that is for and if I need to use it to install my radio.

DMacLennan14, according to my buddy, the stereo was working fine when he pulled it out of his vehicle around four years ago. There is an ironic story about this stereo. I originally bought it in 1999 (had it installed in my Pontiac Bonneville at the time by Circuit City). I then bought a new vehicle so I pulled the stereo out of the Bonneville and gave it to my buddy who put it in his Pontiac Firebird. He used it until he upgraded his stereo in his Firebird. He said he pulled it out of his Firebird about three to four years ago and it has been in storage ever since.

Now, I just want the darn thing to work so I don't have to go spend $150.00 on a brand new stereo. UGHHHHH! :mad:

Harry

One more thing...

I plugged in my old factory radio and it works just fine. (This further leads me to believe the problem may be in the new stereo and not the wiring or wiring harness.) I just wonder about the mystery gray connector. I am at the end of my rope with this thing!!! AAHHHHHHH! Help me. :)

Harry

simple you're using the wrong harness. return that one to best buy then ask them for the 70-5600 harness by Metra. pic below. be sure to connect the amp turn on (blue/white) in the gray harness when you put on the new one!

met-705600.jpg

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!!!

simple you're using the wrong harness. return that one to best buy then ask them for the 70-5600 harness by Metra. pic below. be sure to connect the amp turn on (blue/white) in the gray harness when you put on the new one!

met-705600.jpg

Kelly2 - thank you. This is starting to make more sense now. I will go tomorrow and get this harness. I may need clarification on the instructions you gave to me once I get the harness. (Sorry, this is the first car stereo I have ever installed.) I appreciate the help...seriously!

Harry :)

What about this harness?

Kelly2 - After your suggestion I did a little more research. What about the Metra 80-5600...looks like the same thing, just a little different...

MET_805600.jpg

What do you think?

Harry

the 80-5600 is the exact same thing as the 70-5600 with the exception of that 3rd white harness. those are often called "Smart Harnesses" or "Smart Cables", you can buy the kenwood smart cable then just plug the two together, no splicing or crimping.

smart_cable_config.JPG

or you can just cut the white plug off and splice it to your kenwood harness. however, best buy doesn't have any smart cables

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

to clarify on the blue/white, it's the factory amp turn on wire. you need to be sure you connect the blue/white on the gray harness to the A) blue/white on the kenwood harness if present OR B) the blue wire on the kenwood harness.

it's purpose is to turn on the factory amp so you'll have sound

Back