3"Suspension, 3"body ,and 285/75s :D | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3"Suspension, 3"body ,and 285/75s :D

The hitch is actually part of the bumper, so when I fabbed up a bumper bracket, it raised everything, hitch included.
I've had it offroad, and it worked AMAZING, tonnes of clearance... and does she ever fling the mud. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks sick, 2nd gens ain't got s**t on ur ex.

Really liking the stance with the suspension lift, may consider doing 3" front 2" rear

That looks BA, I cant wait to save some money and get working on mine. Looks Great!

that truck looks really good. You answered my question about this hitch, but I can assume that you cannot tow with this anymore or use that as a tow point.

Any way that you can leave the hitch mounted in stock location?

that truck looks really good. You answered my question about this hitch, but I can assume that you cannot tow with this anymore or use that as a tow point.

Any way that you can leave the hitch mounted in stock location?

Not unless you want a gap between your bumper cover and your bumper,
and you'd haveto cut the bottom out of your bumper cover.
I don't think there is any issue with towing, as I used 1/4 inch plate to make my brackets.

I might have missed this but did you mention the total time it took you to complete the job?

I might have missed this but did you mention the total time it took you to complete the job?

Took about 8 hours with Machine shop time.

Looks good man, but you need bigger tires now...Just kidding! I like the look of a fuller wheel well and less frame, but it looks good. I'm partial to the pictures with just the 3" springs w/ wheels and tires, but that is just me.

I know that I checked in via pm for the heights after the springs, but what are you looking at for measurements now (looking for step up for getting in the door in particular)? What are your plans for it now?

I'll check for that measurement for you tonight after work.
As far as plans next, I'm still going to be doing my rear tire carrier, and I'm thinking on a bull bar, or front end guard of some kind.

Next year at bonus time, possibly a supercharger.

looks awesome man... its time someone stepped up to the plate and tried to tackle this... very nice work:thumbsup:

Looks good man, but you need bigger tires now...Just kidding! I like the look of a fuller wheel well and less frame, but it looks good. I'm partial to the pictures with just the 3" springs w/ wheels and tires, but that is just me.

I know that I checked in via pm for the heights after the springs, but what are you looking at for measurements now (looking for step up for getting in the door in particular)? What are your plans for it now?

I just got that measurement for you, at the drivers door the measurement is 28 inches, 15 inches at the frame.

Hey man, wow, that looks really awesome!

4 quick questions:

What is a body lift? Is that when you lift the body high up from the frame? Just creating more wheel well room but does not give you any more ground clearance?

What about your CV joints? Dose your lift not bend the CV joints at an awkward angle enough to present possible problems with the joints?

Since the 3gen is notorious for it's wheel bearings, do you suppose that your bigger tires will dramatically shorten the life of the wheel bearings?

What type of differential do you have? Do you have a limited slip or a lunch box locker installed?

Thanks

Hey man, wow, that looks really awesome!

4 quick questions:

What is a body lift? Is that when you lift the body high up from the frame? Just creating more wheel well room but does not give you any more ground clearance?

What about your CV joints? Dose your lift not bend the CV joints at an awkward angle enough to present possible problems with the joints?

Since the 3gen is notorious for it's wheel bearings, do you suppose that your bigger tires will dramatically shorten the life of the wheel bearings?

What type of differential do you have? Do you have a limited slip or a lunch box locker installed?

Thanks

Yes, the body lift is when the body is lifted off of the frame, This was needed due to the size of my tires. I do also have lift springs as well.
My cv's are not bent too much, they actually still sit quite straight, and I am not worried about those,
My new setup may cause more strain on the bearings, but this is the price we pay for playing I guess. ;)
My diff is stock.

Ben I am mightly impressed, if you find a bullbar pic you like on an aussie vehicle from either ARB TJM or eastrcoast bullbars I'll track one down locally and give you some accurate measurements ifn it'll be of assistance, I'm proud of you lad, awesome efforts dude
Scotty

Thanks Scotty, I appreciate it, and will keep my eyes open.
If you happen to notice something that you think would look good let me know as well.

Ben

Roadbully, how is the steering with all this extra height and the bigger tires?

And I'm sure you've answered this somewhere already, but what's next (other then the abovementioned bullbar/front bumper)?

Roadbully, how is the steering with all this extra height and the bigger tires?

And I'm sure you've answered this somewhere already, but what's next (other then the abovementioned bullbar/front bumper)?

The steering is quicker, as there is more tire on the road, and it does feel more top heavy, but not TOOOOO bad, as I did go wider on the rim offset and the tires.
Nothing about it feels worse, just bigger...

next things I'm working on are, (and not really in any particular order)
Mac intake,
Dual exhaust,
Bull bar/bumper, with offroad lights.
Rear Tire carrier,
X cal 2 or 3,
Electronic Step sides, (my wife is 5'2")
Supercharger,

About the frame... I'd like to paint or have painted mine since so much shows. Did you paint your frame? If so, what did you use? Thanks! (Just the part that shows)

About the frame... I'd like to paint or have painted mine since so much shows. Did you paint your frame? If so, what did you use? Thanks! (Just the part that shows)

I'm going to be painting it, haven't yet.

I've still gotta do some work on my rockers, so I'm going to do those both at once, probably later this month.

You could at least scrub off that sticker with the bar code on it off of the frame.

If I painted my frame the only color I would consider would be black.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, I do plan to paint it black, it's gotta be touched up, there is the odd surface rust spot, I just haven't bothered to crawl under yet.
The sticker will also come off, if it wasn't there, the frame would be alot less noticeable.

Back