Should my Explorer be able to burn some rubber? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Should my Explorer be able to burn some rubber?

Nuetral

Reaction score
City, State
Estevan, Saskatchewan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
Well i got a 1994 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L V6. And it doesnt burn any rubber or squeel at the least. Now is it really underpowered engine or could there be something wrong with it?

Thank you kind of a dumb question but it makes me think that my engine isnt working 100%

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Technician's Tips and Tech This forum is where professional automotive technicians or skilled automotive hobbyists can share their tech tips. Do not post your questions here! Post in the forum best suited to your topic. Questions posted in this forum will be deleted!

welcome to the forum. I moved your thread into the proper forum rather than delete it.

ready, set, go

My Explorer wont burn any rubber?

I got a 1994 Ford Explorer XLT and it doesnt burn rubber and not even a squeel.

Now im sure they should be able to so could something be wrong with my engine? and if so what and how to fix it.

Thanks alot. Weird question but it begs the question is my engine working 100%

Well....for starters, if you have the 4.0 ohv it doesn't have a whole lot of power, compared to the 4.0 SOHC or the even better 5.0 V8. Second off, do you have selectable two wheel drive high, or does it say auto 4 wheel drive. If you have the auto 4 wheel the transfer case prevents you from burning out because it locks it in four wheel whenever it feels the back wheels spin. But, there is a mod on here, called the brown wire mod. You can alter the wiring to turn auto 4 wheel on, or off. Hope this helps

He probably has the pushbutton 4wd. They didnt make auto 4wd in the first gens. I use to have a manual 93 explorer and i could get them to spin but cant really help you with out knowing more info. Check what gear ratio you have as well. They seemed to like gearing them high. I had 3.27 open diffs in my explorer.

Alright thanks guys.

Yeah sorry about the wrong forum kinda read that afterwords....

It has 4x4 and Low Range. You lock the wheels with this year.

The only way to even break the wheels loose on these things, is either with a big powerbrake move or whipping it around corners. From a stop, I can squeal the tires, but I can't spin them. It also has to do with what gears you have.

Alright thank you.

my 94 has a limited slip with 3.73 gears, and i have barely been able to burn some rubber. now that my front brakes are worn down the rear ones are locking up more then they should preventing me to do it. My friends 3.73 open diff does burnouts fine. With a limited slip diff its almost impossible, but I will see when i get my front pads replaced.

Weird. My moms 1993 XLT has over 260k miles, 3.73 T-Lok rear.

If I'm taking off and turning I can get it sideways easily. Brakestands are easy too...

I brake-torqued one day and when I let off the brake and punched it all the way she layed a patch.

Maybe I just know how to beat on it? lol

nutrual drop it i bet that would spin the tires not good for the rest of the truck but hey you wanted to burn rubber

Could but dont want to do it that bad lol

I did just leave some rubber on the road did it in reverse lol oh well it worked ;)

I always smoke both the explorers. Both 1992's, D4 axle code. 3.73 limited slip. The white one has a jasper reman engine though and is a little easier. I can go out right now and lay so much rubber it wouldn't be funny. But I wouldn't want to. Im trying to change my driving style.

not sure what it would be called, perhaps brakestand? on days when it's wet and i have to drive to class downtown, it's about a 13 mile drive, i do my best to drive through as many puddles as possible, get everything wet. i can sit in the parking lot, pusht eh brakes, and rev it to about 4000 rpms and get it going. i've gotten smoke a few times but not to often

good luck.

oh yeah, running 2x4 stock drivetrain 3.73

I guess both of mine are special. Dry pavement, i call a brakestand a powerbrake. I slam the gas to get them spinning then hold the brake. They smoke in a matter of seconds. Anytime I want I can take off smoking from a light.

he was burning rubber in his mama's explorer? does she know about that? it is really hard on the rest of the vehicle

Back