HHO electrolyzer experiment

bigapple

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Baton Rouge LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLS Touring
if anyone here has visited the the site water4gas.com, it says that making a homemade electrolyzer to separate hydrogen from water can have good effects on gas mileage and performance... the electrolyzer i constructed wasnt much like the ones they showed on the site but still has some output... ive read on some sites that it needs a ton of output to really have any significant effect on ur performance but some have said the small amount can have some effect so i decided to take it upon myself to see if this can really work with a small 1/2 gallon tank of water putting out a little bit of hydrogen

ill put in pictures of my electrolyzer tomorrow because i need to add a water catcher but its not a very complicated rig and anyone can make it

i used two large hooks on the top and 2 on the bottom of the plastic container... i bought some sort of pipe springs and connected one spring to each hook on top and bottom to expand the spring and increase surface area... i charged one hook to positive and ran the other to ground... the hydrogen is attracted to the anode since it has a positive charge and the cathode produces ferrus oxide since the stainless steel is made of aluminum and iron, which results in murky red water with some gross chunks floating around... the solution in the container is distilled water and baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) as an electrolyte... when i flip the switch to make a circuit the anode begins to bubble and hydrogen is produced... the top of the bottle is sealed and a small tube runs the hydrogen to the intake tube... we'll see my mileage results on the next fillup

hopefully this will help aldives' quest for 30 mpg... we'll see how it goes

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You hit a bad subject here but I will tell you what I have learned. It will work till the computer adjust the fuel mixture for the higher exhaust temp. I was told the 02 extenders will help prevent that issue but I do not know of anyone who has tried it.

watching :thumbsup:

well once i actually get an efficient system installed i will go ahead and show pictures of my entire back-breaking, time consuming project with some research

so far, i started off with an average mileage of 15.6 MPG before i added an electrolyzer... mind u that i have 32 inch tires but that would only be about a 5% inaccurate reading at max cuz i didnt go on the interstate on that entire tank

so after running my electrolyzer made from a home depot electrical box and some flattened stainless steel outlet covers, i was making 13.7 MPG... which leads me to my problem

what i dont understand is how to modulate the temperature of the gas exiting the fuel cell... the first one i made had decent output and kept a relatively low temperature... the one i have now has better output as long as i use alot of electrolyte in the solution... but using too much electrolyte also increases the voltage thru the solution and basically makes it an oven

i held up a barbeque lighter to a bubbler that was producing the gas and it is for sure hydroxy... the bubbles popped loud and bright and it for sure is a good gas... the issue im having is controlling the amount of power going thru the solution and creating an efficient cell that has good output while maintaining a low temperature... im still on a quest to make an efficient cell and ill keep everyone posted when i build one that makes much hydroxy and keeps my ground post on my box from smoking and melting like tonite as i drove down the road

Subscribing.

looking forward for the pics.

well im going through orientation for LSU rite now cuz im just starting so ill be up for doing some more work thursday hopefully... ill get some pics of the old setup and why it failed... rite now i have it run with 10 gauge wire and the issue im having is a bit confusing... the terminals on the relay im using are very small and my friend has some 1 gauge speaker wire that i can use to assure that itll carry a current well but the wire is so huge that idk how it can connect thru that relay so i may have to get a larger one... but also i work at an autozone and they sell battery wires that are 6 or 8 gauge that can be used but they arent long enough... im hoping to build a good cell thursday cuz i have a design that i saw that ill probably use... if it still gets hot then ill just have to run it with larger wire to carry the current... if all goes as planned and as seen online, i should gain a couple MPG... maybe u can get that 30 if this actually works, aldive

I acheived that 30 several years ago. I want more ....

wow im way behind sorry about that... but yea hopefully ull add some mpg with this beast... once i get it completely operational ill be sure to fill u in

It will work till the computer adjust the fuel mixture for the higher exhaust temp.

I have heard a similar discussion about this, not from an exhaust temp perspective, but an O2 concentration perspective. When the HHO gas mixture is sent into the air intake, some of the O2 gets through the system unburned. When the O2 sensors read the "slightly" higher O2 concentration, they signal more fuel to be dumped into the cylinders, resulting in the opposite effect. Unless you can adjust the F/A mixture manually within the computer.

I have purchased, and not yet installed, a device from Hydranox that supposedly separates the HH from the O. The HH stream is run into the air intake and the O is sent where ever you want. This setup is less invasive to the computer, hence the reason I am going to attempt.

I have not yet installed because I am in the middle of testing other modifications to determine their MPG impacts. I suspect I will have somthing posted later this year. Next mod is to go synthetic Oil and ATF, since I am coming on 60k miles.

As far as exhaust temperature; Is the issue that the exhaust gas temperature affected by the HH gas temperature going into the Cylinder? I would expect the flow of HH vs. Air and the normal temp of the exhaust would be barely impacted by the HH gas temperature. Just my opinion on the gas temperature.

i agree but im hoping that all the O2 and H2 will be burned and possibly use less gasoline... thats the predicted result... im not sure if itll really work but i mite as well give it a try cuz its cheap

finally got around to 1/2 way done with my new design... here r pictures of my LONG old project that was deemed worthless... i had two different setups... one barely made any gas and the other got too hot and melted the ground post on the PVC box i used... heres the long journey...

first started out packing 12 cells together but they were too far apart and barely made **** for hydrogen and oxygen... heres the process

materials....

2456765_106_full.jpg

2456765_105_full.jpg

old crappy bubbler that i makeshifted...

2456765_107_full.jpg

building...

2456765_109_full.jpg

2456765_110_full.jpg

2456765_111_full.jpg

2456765_112_full.jpg

2456765_114_full.jpg

2456765_116_full.jpg

2456765_119_full.jpg

2456765_120_full.jpg

2456765_121_full.jpg

2456765_117_full.jpg

2456765_118_full.jpg

2456765_122_full.jpg

2456765_123_full.jpg

2456765_124_full.jpg

2456765_125_full.jpg

2456765_126_full.jpg

since this design was deemed useless because the plates barely produced any gas as i had predicted, i decided to change to a pos-neg-pos-neg plate design rather than positives on each end with a negative in the middle separated by neutral plates... this unit barely put out any gas so the time spent was a big waste but i did learn that its alot harder than it looks

2nd and 3rd concept

i figured i would separate the container into 4 separate parts and use two plates close together to make some gas... it worked but the heat produced skyrocketed and melted the ground post on the box

2456765_127_full.jpg

2456765_129_full.jpg

2456765_130_full.jpg

2456765_131_full.jpg

i wanted to make a sturdy design that can take some abuse and be bolted together but contact between plates is unwanted so since this also became useless, i finally found rubber grommets to prevent cell contact at a radioshack... tried ace, lowes, and office depot (lowes told me to go there)... this design was the most efficent and i use a 6 plate pos-neg design... im doing two sets of plates on each side for 12 plates total... this is the first one i put together today... each plate has a rubber grommet in one hole and two metal washers for the other holes... this had some decent production so im guessing double the amount of plates will be a good success

2456765_133_full.jpg

2456765_135_full.jpg

2456765_136_full.jpg

i have a video of these plates running on regular 15 A 12V from a battery charger... ill post it on youtube soon

if anyone has any ideas on how to keep temperature low, please let me know... thats the main issue im having trouble with... im going to step up to most likely between 6-1 gauge wire so im hoping that will lower resistance... but the box will still probably heat the solution so any ideas would be greatly helpful

I must say I am impressed with the time and knowledge you have invested. I hope that you are paid in better fuel economy for your efforts. I would offer advice, but I have not spent much time figuring the chemistry and physics of these devices.

Good luck. I'll keep checking back to watch your progress.

update: i put the first side into the pvc electrical box and sealed it up and production was decent as expected... i havent made the second side yet but i am still completely confused as to how to keep the temperature low... if i bring the voltage down too much, production creeps along like a turtle... i want to have something that can take the voltage and stay low... so far ive thought of using 1 gauge wire for the ground and possibly for the positive terminal too... but the wires on the battery charger were 6 gauge so im not sure if the wire size is whats getting hot... could just be the mixture itself... second half is being made tomorrow or thurs... stay tuned

still open for ideas on keeping the temperature down

how hot are we talking here exacly

how hot are we talking here exacly

hot enough to melt plastic... and im not sure if it kept getting hotter... but pretty freakin hott

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i appreesh the advice... ill check it out man

Back