• Register Today It's free!

transmission has no reverse help

ttavenieriii

Reaction score
City, State
kissimmee florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 explorer xlt
ok so i havea 98 explorer a4wd and wheni left work yesterday the truck wouldnt go onto reverse. i tried again today and still no reverse what could this be help me please i really cant afford to take it to a shop because its my only transportation for know so please help what could it be

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok so i havea 98 explorer a4wd and wheni left work yesterday the truck wouldnt go onto reverse. i tried again today and still no reverse what could this be help me please i really cant afford to take it to a shop because its my only transportation for know so please help what could it be

pull the dipstick and check the fluid level when hot. Is it full? What color is the fluid? When was it serviced last?

The next thing to do is to drop the pan. Inspect carefully for any clues, gaskets or whatever.

One possibility is...
These trans have issues with valve body gaskets going south, so you may have to drop that and change the gasket. Search the board for "no reverse" and other similar issues.

Good Luck

the truck has fluid and it was service about 16 months ago but about 2 months ago i did a engine swap and drained all tranny fluids so the fluid is new the filter im not sure of couldnt hurt to change it but i did see a form on rebuild the thingunder the filter where can i get that kit at and about how long will that take?

the truck has fluid and it was service about 16 months ago but about 2 months ago i did a engine swap and drained all tranny fluids so the fluid is new the filter im not sure of couldnt hurt to change it but i did see a form on rebuild the thingunder the filter where can i get that kit at and about how long will that take?

You mean the valve body? I know there is a kit from ford to take care of that issue, other can certainly chime in with their experiences. There are many threads discussing that issue.

You mean the valve body? I know there is a kit from ford to take care of that issue, other can certainly chime in with their experiences. There are many threads discussing that issue.

so do i have to go to ford to get that kit also stupid question but how do i know what tranny i have?

so do i have to go to ford to get that kit also stupid question but how do i know what tranny i have?

or an online dealer for example....
http://fastpartsnetwork.com/

You have a V6 right? Then its a 5R55E trans. Loss of reverse in most cases is a blown separator plate gasket. Those gaskets fail anyway, so might as well start there.

In a 4WD, the transfer case could have a broken shift fork.

That shouldn't be this case. Transfer case issue would be all gears as it really doesn't care what gear you're in. It just "transfers" power that it receives.

If you don't have the tools or experience with automatic transmissions, I would highly recommend you take it to someone who does for the proper diagnosis. Find someone reputable. Too many shops just take a quick look and go "yup...it's broken. You need a rebuild. That will be $2300" when in fact that may not be the case. A dealer who is familiar with the ins and outs of this trans may be worth the extra cost they charge. You don't have to let them repair it if you think you're up to it, but they may be worth their weight in gold in finding the problem and saving you time and money trying to fix the wrong problem.

That shouldn't be this case. Transfer case issue would be all gears as it really doesn't care what gear you're in. It just "transfers" power that it receives.

If you don't have the tools or experience with automatic transmissions, I would highly recommend you take it to someone who does for the proper diagnosis. Find someone reputable. Too many shops just take a quick look and go "yup...it's broken. You need a rebuild. That will be $2300" when in fact that may not be the case. A dealer who is familiar with the ins and outs of this trans may be worth the extra cost they charge. You don't have to let them repair it if you think you're up to it, but they may be worth their weight in gold in finding the problem and saving you time and money trying to fix the wrong problem.

This is exactly true, I had places tell me I need a $2500 rebuild when it turned out to be a loose filter, of course I knew better. May be that is what made me interested in working on my car.

You may want to bring it to a few places and get an opinion. But those gaskets on the 5R55E have many failures, I know a dealer who sells a lot of used high mile exs and he says he does it as PM before selling and notifies the new owner. The seal around the big reverse servo usually blows out. When you drop the pan, see if any valve body bolts are loose. If so, the gasket is toast.

help

ok well i went to that website but i cant find any valve body rebuild kit for the tranny if someone could locate it to me and send me the url i would greatly appreciate it thanks

I saw a transmission from a 98 on Orlando craigslist a few weeks back, I dont remember if it was 2 or wheel drive though.

Are you the blue Explorer with 2 lights on the roof?

I saw a transmission from a 98 on Orlando craigslist a few weeks back, I dont remember if it was 2 or wheel drive though.

Are you the blue Explorer with 2 lights on the roof?

yes that is my explorer

will a transmisson from a 4.0 v6 ohv fit into a 4.0 v6 sohc????
if so, i found a tranny that is 4x4 with transfer case for 350 only 13000 miles on it too

yes that is my explorer

I saw you turning onto boggy creek from Narcoossee rd the other day,

Let me know if you need help with the explorer I live right down the road.

I saw you turning onto boggy creek from Narcoossee rd the other day,

Let me know if you need help with the explorer I live right down the road.

yes i live right down the road off michagan st off osceola park way well tomorrow imma pull the pan and the valve body so if u wanna stop bye ur more than welcome toooo i can always use the help let me know if ur interested ill give ya a number or an address

ok so yesterday i was drivin throught the wood and heard what sounded like the tranny grinding. as i kept driving for another few feet to varify my findings, the truck stopped moving. know wen it was in drive it made the noise likeit was tring to shift but it couldnt, what i mean is the sound sounded like when ur driving and u put the truck in park while still moving it makes that noise. well it did that while i had it in drive. know i had a friend hook up to me o pull me home and i noticed i had drive again. so later lat night i drove to the gas station for a test drive and when i hit 40 u could hear the noise again but if i jump on the gas it had power on demand what could this be please help

yes i live right down the road off michagan st off osceola park way well tomorrow imma pull the pan and the valve body so if u wanna stop bye ur more than welcome toooo i can always use the help let me know if ur interested ill give ya a number or an address

Well I've got some family down from Michigan so I have to hang out with them for a few days but after that I dont have anything going on.
What woods were you in when yr tranny crapped out?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not true. My 4405 had the infamous wallowing of the rear shift rail bore and rear output bearing. Any gear 1-5 worked fine. The high/low shift collar would grind like hell when coasting. Reverse made same grinding noise and truck would not move.

Back