• Register Today It's free!

My Flat Black XLT

1991fordexploder

Reaction score
City, State
Sanford, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT stock
This is my 91 ford explorer XLT that i bought for $800.00, when i first got it.
When i bought it i put brand new GOODYEAR WRANGLER tires on, tune up ( new wires, plugs, oil change, and fuel system flush).
35d50d4.jpg

This is a few months later.
I painted the whole truck flat black, i painted the rocker panels gloss black so they can repel ice and water, i also painted the wheels gloss black, i blacked out the front and rear reflectors, and smoked the front turn signals.
35n1n6d.jpg

2uzdr40.jpg

fn4o0h.jpg

w8q2ba.jpg

24z9f7d.jpg

15pjt3l.jpg

2eajl8z.jpg

68evkl.jpg

55krxx.jpg

10px8k9.jpg

2dad1ft.jpg

Let me know what yall think, please be honest.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...I think it's ready to see some trails..:thumbsup:

my xlt

the rear windows are going to be taken out, i want to make them removable

Easy to touch-up if you scratch her...

Hmm... a contradiction: all grayed out, yet no tint on the windows. Lifted, it appears, but not quite sure. Are those fog lights or driving lights up front? One back up light that appears to be floating (or dangling?) I'm confused, yet find the vehicle mildly appealing. My guess is that it has speakers, yet no stereo :)

my xlt

it has stock speakers and factory amp. the back-up light is bolted to the bumper
in a hole that was already there, no lift yet i just took off the front valance, i going to make some shackles for the rear real soon though, because i have a 500lb tool box in the back that is bolted to the floor, because i am a diesel mechanic. and i cant afford to tint the windows yet. and it has brand new premium brakes all the way around plus a new master cylinder.

500lb tool box!! Do you have any particular fav brand of shock/springs? Why tint? It looks fine the way it is...

my xlt

no fav. brand, but i would like to tint the windows, because it gets so hot in there with no a/c. all of the a/c components r gone i took all of it out. and my shifter ball can get extremely HOT or COLD because it aluminum.

wal-mart 96cents a can paint. took me 9 cans. body-lights-door handles-grill flat black Rockers & Wheels- Gloss Black

I would park it next to nice new cars to be funny.:D

I've done this to mine recently, except mine looks extremely splotchy. Like the dust didn't come off when I washed it before painting. I also tried wiping it down with thinner to get everything off, but it's almost grainy in areas. I'm thinking about laying down another 2 layers, and then wet sanding it with an EXTREMELY high grit paper to smooth it out.

could you post some pics of your paint job?

Earl Shrieb would actually be a good thing here. $299 special FTW. :D

sorry for the quality, phone camera. i've since done the hood, it's starting to smooth on it's own, i'm guessing wind abrasion. but i'm going to lay another coat and do some serious high-grit wet sanding and see what happens.

24mg5ra.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back