Difference between 4R55E & 5R55E (besides 4 spd & 5 spd) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Difference between 4R55E & 5R55E (besides 4 spd & 5 spd)

cleudard01

Reaction score
City, State
White Sulphur Springs, W.V.
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 & 97.5 expl.spt
Hey Ya'all!! I have a rolled 97 explorer 2 dr sport ohv & bought a 97 explorer 2 dr sport sohc (later model).
I want to swap trannys. The trannys look the same on the outside but I'm not SURE if they are REALLY the same tranny.
Any info on id tags or pics. How do I tell the difference between the 4R55E & the 5R55E?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! Your 97 has an extra sensor called the ODS or overdrive speed sensor. # 7 in my list of useful threads has more information on this part. There are some internal differences such as upgraded drums which hold more clutch plates, a green band EPC solenoid on the 4R44E, and a red band EPC solenoid on the 5R55E.

grea post same question but will they swap over i found that tranny for 200 so my question is will it swap over?

97 trannys

I did swap the tranny from my early ohv 97 into the 97 sohc. Found no differences in those two trannys, anyway.:thumbsup:

I would think the ECU would not be compatible going from a 4r to a 5r, but I will be very interested to hear what the experts have to say

never thought about that i dont think there would be a problem with it the computer in the tranny should controll the shifting not the ecu or would it what does everyone think

yeah, your transmission computer will only work with one transmission. If you change your transmission type, there would also be a LOT of computer and electrical work involved too.

never thought about that i dont think there would be a problem with it the computer in the tranny should controll the shifting not the ecu or would it what does everyone think

There is no computer in the tranny, everything in the car is controlled by the ECU/PCM combo and the computer is setup to tell the tranny when and how to shift. not to mention I doubt the wiring harness would even match up from a 4r to a 5r. But since I have no experience with the 4r I guess I could be surprised.

Hey All, I ddon't think I changed tranny types or models, I think they were the same trannys, from what I saw doing the job. I do know what I see..... Just my tiny contribution, even if it means nothing. I'm definately NOT a proud FORD mechanic.
Just another owner.

ok well thanks for the help does anyone now a person selling a transmission and t case together for a resonable price?

I have a bad core tranny & an ok transfer case.
I did have a problem going into 4 lo but it may just be a shift motor problem. Let me find out what the salvage yard would want for the transfer case & I'll give you the tranny for a core if you buy a rebuilt unit. I'm in West Virginia.

Back