My X on 265/75/16 BFG's | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My X on 265/75/16 BFG's

One more thing, I recently installed a GPS unit on my X (Avic-D3), it is connected to the speedometer of the X, would that little speed inaccuracy acffect my navigation capabilities??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One more thing, I recently installed a GPS unit on my X (Avic-D3), it is connected to the speedometer of the X, would that little speed inaccuracy acffect my navigation capabilities??

it depends on how much highway driving u do, but yes eventually the little things will add up... u mite be able to get ur speedo recalibrated at a local tuner shop... thats one thing to consider

has somebody tried the kumho MT KL71 on that size?? they look extremelly great!! I wonder if they would fit....

hey do tires this big rub when the wheel is cranked over or like when you hit bumps on the bigger side? im just curious because i just ordered some 265/75/16 firestone destination m/t and i would hate to have to send them back.

i just bought a 2003 explorer and i was looking at some new tires. im think of getting some P265/70R16 Goodyear Wrangler AT and i wanted to know how much do these sized tires rub ,if any. any help would be great

i just bought a 2003 explorer and i was looking at some new tires. im think of getting some P265/70R16 Goodyear Wrangler AT and i wanted to know how much do these sized tires rub ,if any. any help would be great

I finally noticed that when fully turned I had a bit of rubbing on the plastic liner. A couple of zipp ties fixed that problem. No more rubbing that I can hear. I haven't noticed any rubbing when hitting bumps either. All salesmen I talked to tried to tell me that they will not fit. BUT THEY DON'T KNOW SHAT. lol I would think that regular rotating will make sure proper wearing.
Since the tires you want are smaller than what Rammer24 put on, you might not have any rubbing at all.

the tires will rub very little or none at all if u got a 32 (265/75/16)... max size for 3rd gens stock is 32 inches or 265/75/16 or 265/70/17

big thanks people, i should get my tires this weekend. they're gonna look so good!!:D

big thanks people, i should get my tires this weekend. they're gonna look so good!!:D

looks great once all is said and done and u get more tread and life out of a bigger tire... i have a set of 265/75/16 bridgestone dueler APTs on my explorer and ive loved them... enjoy the tires and get some offroading pics up here:cool:

I just received a set of Kumho Road Venture APT KL51 in 265/75-16 from the UPS man today. I will be installing these on Saturday morning. I bought Kumho's Highway All-Season because they where rated a very quiet tire, plus I do lots of high miles and the price was right.

Thanks,

Holy ****.. This thread is almost a year old. Think you could have found an older thread to post in? :D :mattmoon:

Perfect. My x now sits about 1.50 inches higher and no rubbing what so ever. The 265/75-16's Highway All-terrains look mean. Also the ride is a little firmer and not as bouncy and doesn't seesaw while cruising on the highway.

These tires size should have come stock from the factory. I think ford cheaped out on the tires yet again :)

I know many people view this forum to get information or ideals. So I just wanted this to be a reference for people in the future who are searching/thinking about doing over sized tires without suspension mods.

One last question on this topic, Will the 265/75-16 tire fit in the spare location under my 2004 explorer 2wd?

After 20mins of searching (remember search inside the tread not the whole site) I found this:

Mine are Kumho M/T.

Yes a 265/75/R16 is a 32 in tire. 31.9 to be exact (I believe :p:)

I assure you the tire shops are wrong.
My mechanic thought I was nuts too.
I told him to mount them and I'll prove it. 1 hour later I got the call.
I was right. I gained 2 in of clearance.

FYI: You can also fit a 265 where the Spare goes.

What to do?...Keep the stock rims, and BUY the tires. Get a mechanic to mount them. Most "Big" chains such as Walmart, Costco and like the like will refuse to do the job.

OK so it was 31.6 not 31.9 :p:

What mine will look like in a few weeks time when I get a set of Hercules 265/75/16 fitted.

The tyre:
herculesTT_AW.jpg

http://www.herculestire.com/catalogHercules/herculesTT_AW.asp
The truck:
Explorer_275_75_16_1.JPG

Before shot (kind of what it looks like now):
Explorer_245_65_17_1.JPG

After getting the 4 tires I finally bought the spare. Thankfully the tire tread was not aggressive because it was an extremely tight fit when I hoisted the spare up under the X.

Back