• Register Today It's free!

Tube doors

99sportxplor3

Reaction score
City, State
Dover
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 sport
I have a 2000 sport and i would like to take the doors off and do tube doors. I was wondering if they made tube doors that would fit or come close to fitting my truck. I figure it has two doors so it would probably look alright took them off. Also Is it illegal to drive without the doors and no tube doors??
Any input would be great...The truck has the 3" bl 1.5"tt 4 door leafs aals and shackles and 33x12.5 mud rovers...like most

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As far as I know, no company makes tube doors for the explorer, or the sport (sport has longer doors). As far as legality of driving without doors, it varies by state. Most will allow it if there is a "lip" on the floor.

As far as I know, no company makes tube doors for the explorer, or the sport (sport has longer doors). As far as legality of driving without doors, it varies by state. Most will allow it if there is a "lip" on the floor.

So does mine have a "lip"??

What he heans about the "LIP" is a ledge that you would havae to step over to get in, or retain stuff on the floor. As far as I know of, explorers don't have that.

Jeeps have them when the doors are removed.

the only jeep that are legally able to run with no doors is the cj's, none of the wranglers have the lip that the cj's had i believe you need a 6" lip to be legal

So does mine have a "lip"??

go to lowes or home depot or some metal place and get some sheet metal and weld u some lips on then sand it all down paint to match ur truck and there u go but it would be a good idea to check with ur local law enforcment about it. hate to get u in trouble

Depending if you have inspections or not would I think determine what you do.

If you don't have inspections, I'd say a small lip at the bottom to keep anything on the floor inside the explorer would be good. Just watch out for DOT cops!

Find some extra doors and make half doors.

Thanks idk if ill do the lip or not i might just find some appropriately size tubing and fab something up...Cant wait to pull apart those doors...Wut exactly do you do to make half doors???

Thanks idk if ill do the lip or not i might just find some appropriately size tubing and fab something up...Cant wait to pull apart those doors...Wut exactly do you do to make half doors???

a saw all or a tourch lol

They're very simple to make, you can also go very elabaorate. Mine were simple. I just cut down 8"s and folded the skin over and welded em up. I didn't cut as much as most did but they give a lot of room to lean out of and still provide an arm rest and they're legal.
halfdoorsonoy2.jpg

They're very simple to make, you can also go very elabaorate. Mine were simple. I just cut down 8"s and folded the skin over and welded em up. I didn't cut as much as most did but they give a lot of room to lean out of and still provide an arm rest and they're legal.
halfdoorsonoy2.jpg

wow i like that alot. I think im gonna call up the local junkyards tommorow lookin for some sport doors. There pry not gonna be too cheap...

the only jeep that are legally able to run with no doors is the cj's, none of the wranglers have the lip that the cj's had i believe you need a 6" lip to be legal

I've never heard of that. My wrangler has a lip.

Back