'01-'05 ST or '01-'04 Ranger?

Hokie

Hokius Maximus
Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 TJ Sport
I can't decide which I would rather get...

I'd like to have a Ranger with a camper shell so I could carry my bikes/skis/outdoor gear in an enclosed area but then I'm limited to only carrying one passenger.

I'd like to have the 4-5 seat capability of the ST but I can't fit my bikes in the 50" bed, possibly negating the point of having a truck.

Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How many bikes?

Bikerack2.gif

I can fit a Honda Rincon 700 ATV in the bed of mine with the tailgate down (barely). If it wasn't so wide I could get the bed extender in behind it. I think you could easily fit them in with the bed extender.

However, if you're looking for something that you can put a topper and and keep your stuff enclosed, the ST probably isn't it. I've never wished I had gotten a Ranger. There have only been a couple times that I had to get something that wouldn't fit in the bed, but I have a trailer too.

Sport Trac.

I could fit my old Kawasaki KX250 dirtbike in the back of my ST, though only by about an inch if I put it in straight. I've also never had any problem fitting bikes in the back, though I have the Yakima crossbars now with a bike rack on the top so I can carry stuff in the back as well. If I need to haul anything larger I just use my 2500HD Duramax :D .

My vote: Sport Trac, especially since I owned a Ranger and never wish to own another again - especially if it has the 3.0L, though the A4LD didn't help either :nono: .

Tom

I miss the 6' bed on my ranger. I had a canopy on it so I had room to sleep in back.
But I definitely like having the 5 seats in the sport trac.

How many bikes?

Bikerack2.gif

Flounder, how much did that set up cost you? Thats what I would probably end up doing if I got a ST

CougarX; said:
However, if you're looking for something that you can put a topper and and keep your stuff enclosed, the ST probably isn't it. I've never wished I had gotten a Ranger. There have only been a couple times that I had to get something that wouldn't fit in the bed, but I have a trailer too.

Yeah, I was hoping to have my stuff enclosed. During biking season, I would keep the mtn bike in the back of the Mountaineer ~ alot easier to just keep it there than to load/unload the bike into the house/apt. I liked how I could drive places with the bike enclosed/clean/secure.

I'd also have to get a ski rack for the roof if I got a ST as skis won't fit in the bed.

Basically, I'm trying to determine if I consider the ST a truck and if its worth getting it over another SUV. :dunno:

Brett:

Not mine, but it appears he used regular Thule racks (the kind that attach to the roof/door cracks) + the trays. I'd imagine it ran about $350-$400.

It sounds like the people thing is most important, how many times will you have more than 1 is the big question. I have a wife and 2 kids the ranger was out even the ext. cab F-150 I had before the ST did not work well. I have a hard bed cover on mine with a roof top cargo carrier mounted to it. I can secure stuff in the bed and still haul on top. You could also look at the camper shells to give more lockable room.

I really wish Ford built the SportTrac bed like Chevy builds the Avalanche ~ integrated into the body with a pass through to the passenger cabin. That would suit my needs perfectly!

I've looked at Avalanches but they're just too friggin' big

well i personally own a ranger and a st.
i really like my st over my ranger except when i have to haul somethin like lumber cuz its just too short for anything like that
i personally have never hauled a bike in the back but i have hauled a dirt bike n in my opinion its just personal preferance except that my ranger is lower than my st so its easier to load and unload

I love my ST. I do have a 8'x4' flat bed trailer with back ramp to haul anything big. The trailer was only around $600 brand new from Home Depot and has a 2000lb GVWR. I use mainly for my 1993 Honda Shadow 1100 cruiser.

I've had both. 99 and 02 Ranger Supercabs, 05 and 08 Sport Tracs. I started getting Tracs when my kids got too big to fit in the back of the Ranger. Basically it boils down to how often you need a rear seat for more people. I have a bike rack that slides into the hitch receiver, or just drop the tailgate, put the extender down, and use a luggage carrier on the roof for your gear. There are camper shells available for the Sport Trac as well.

Ranger: Bigger bed, less people, worse brakes, better shocks.
ST: Smaller bed, more people, much better 4 wheel disc brakes, and vastly more comfortable seats. Buy new shocks immediately.

I have a bike rack that slides into the hitch receiver

Yeah, I have one as well and like it for daily use. I just like to have my bike stored in the back if I'm going a long distance or carrying the bike for weekend recreation while traveling on business.

Ranger: Bigger bed, less people, worse brakes, better shocks.
ST: Smaller bed, more people, much better 4 wheel disc brakes, and vastly more comfortable seats. Buy new shocks immediately.

Interesting that you pointed out the brakes ~ I thought the ST had the Ranger's 8.8 w/ drum brakes. The ST is definitely more comfortable inside and has more standard/available creature features.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting that you pointed out the brakes ~ I thought the ST had the Ranger's 8.8 w/ drum brakes. The ST is definitely more comfortable inside and has more standard/available creature features.
The 01 and 02 models has the drum brakes. Starting in 03 they had rear disc brakes.

Back