Gear instaliation...

Isles4evr

Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member
Reaction score
City, State
Mechanicsville, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XL 2dr
Since I am seriously looking to getting new gears now (4.10 or 4.56), i'd like to ask some question just to get straight on this subject. Is it a project that I can do myself? I was looking through the summit catalog and saw that they have instaliation kits which include.. grade 8 bolts, cover gasket, bearings, seals, shims, marking compound, thread locking compound, and silicone sealer. They are 99.95 each. Then i'll need oil, I was thinking about the richmond gear gl-6 synthetic oil... it seemed to be the best. If not I'll get the red line open differential oil. Then I was looking at the richmond gear 4.10 and 4.56 gears they have for the ford 8.8"... 186.95 for the 4.10's and 192.95 for the 4.56's. So it will run around $300 for the whole thing. Good deal? They only charge a 6.95 handling charge, no shipping. My 91 has a 8.8" diff, right? Since I don't have 4wd I'm not woried about that yet. I'm planning on doing the conversion around X-mas break... what a gift :D ! So when I do the conversion I'll just put the matching gear in the front. What type of front differential for the explorers have? it's not 8.8, right? I thought it was a dana 60.

So in a nut shell, can I do the swap, and are the prices good, and am I right about the differential sizes?

Thanks a bunch,
Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your post is a bit confusing. You said you don’t have 4-wheel drive and then you said when you do the conversion, you'll put the matching gear up front. Do you have 4-wheel drive or not? It's very very very important that if you have 4 wheel drive that you change both front and rear gears at the same time. If you don't and you put your truck into 4-wheel drive you will definitely bust a few expensive parts. Dead Link Removed

Now, that being said, why are you contemplating a gear change? That will determine what gears to use. Also, you're driving habits and tire size come in to play.

If your not experienced with swapping gears, have it professionally done for you.

Do you plan on putting 4x4 on around christmas??? I'm with camaron, the post is a bit confussing.

With that said though....I'm not sure if I'd try to change the gears myself, unless you really knew what you were doing. They are made up of some pieces that are a pain in the butt to work with and can eaisly lead to some major headaches.

Chris,

To do the gears you need a press, a dial type torque wrench, and some seal drivers, dial indicator. If you havent done it before or have someone that can help you thats done it before I would have it done. You get them to stand by the work, and when you have the 300.00 worth of parts at risk if something goes wrong its on their shoulders not yours.

Prices seem decent, you might want to think about a locking diff, or L/S. Wont cost much more(if anything)to have it installed while the gears are set.

The stock front axle is the Dana 35 TTB, we wish we had a the super stout 60. Some have put Dana 44's up front check Ricks thread on the solid axle swap- something to think about when you convert!!

I forgot to mention that the Shops around here( MD suburb of DC) seem to be in the 225-300range for the rear gear install. If you have a shop near you that works on Late model Mustangs they would be a place to check since the 8.8 rear is used in most of them, they should also have a decent amount of experience with the 8.8. May also be a good source of parts.

FWIW

Sorry about the confusion. I have 2wd now, and will be doing a 4wd conversion around x-mas. I didn't think I could do it myself, but it's worth asking. Thanks Steve, I'll look around for a mustang place, although I'm not sure where I could find one. I'm in central VA where the only car places are Pepboys and advanced auto... no real speciality shops (except for the tranny shops, etc.). I'll look around though.

Thanks
Chris

Oh yeah, I forgot to say why. I put 32's on it, and my stock 3.08 gears just don't cut it. I am undecided between 4.10's and 4.56's because I might go with a bigger tire if I lift it more. 4lo.com said 4.10's are a perfict match to stock, but I don't wna swap again if I go bigger.

Chris

Chris, If you think your going bigger get the 4.56s so you dont have to change twice. Highway milage will suffer in the mean time as the engine runs at a higher RPM but around town shouldn't be a big deal.
If you go with the 4.10s when/if you increase the tire size if you go up just an inch or two may not make that big of a difference unless you wheel frequently, then youll want the 4.56's.

[Edited by SteveVB on 08-22-2000 at 12:40 PM]

I don't wheel too often as of now. If I go with a bigger tire size it will probably be 35's. So it would be a 3" difference. I may go out wheelin more often then though, because I'll have 35's and 4wd. I don't know. I guess I can go with the 4.10's now and then 4.56's later. I'm gona watch the guy install the gears, and maybe next time I'll do them myself.

Oh BTW, do you think anyone would want a set of 3.08's? I couldn;t see anyone wanting them, but what do you think I could get for them?

Thanks
Chris

I just found this thread and steve VB i know your in md, and its rare to find others around here. I would like to know where u were going to get the gears done that you got a price like that for i wnat to swap mine for some 4:56's thanks alot! check the GWNF post too.

JAY,

Theres a Mustang place near me that I am going to have the rears done. $475-500 with FMS gears. The front I think Im going to do myself. Pull the pumpkin and replace it - Although I drive my Navajo most of the time I have other vehicles so if it is down for a while Its not that big of a deal- unless my other vehicles are having trouble!! I figure I can do the front with enough time, and If I cant Ill just take it someplace since time isnt a big deal. Nope never set new gears before. I have removed and replaced them to do a bearing quite a few years ago, but never set one up from scratch.

The 8.8 is in the Mustang and there are plenty of shops that work on the stang, see if you can find one near you for the rear. Ask around for the front- I spoke to a few people who didnt want to do it because of the time involved to take apart the front end( it all has to come apart) a co that specializes in litght trucks would eb your best bet. How gfar are you from Howard county? Theres a place there that does a lot of gear work for OCC guys and they have been happy with the work. If thats not too far I can get the number for you.

Im in annapolis but im a volunteer fireman in PG county so if the price is right i would drive there. Everyone on the west coast gets both done for under 1100, i had a qote for 1800 for both, =( uh uh! so get me the number please, yea ive seen OCC a few times in GWNF, thanks a mill

Back