• Register Today It's free!

anybody know why?

t money

Reaction score
City, State
toronto, ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 xlt (4.0 sohc)
anyone know why my dome lights and interior lights come on when i open my door but none of my courtesy lights(red light at bottom of door) are working on any of my 4 doors on my 98 x. any help is appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I thought they were reflectors.

I thought they were reflectors too. Why would they put red lights on the door?

i think you have just reflectors-like me. some ex's have half reflector and half light in the same place i believe?

thanks guys, sorry for the dumb question, i really though they were lights. Guess thats why none of them were working, i really feel dumb now. But i wouldn't have known if i didn't ask. Honestly i don't know why they would put red lights at the bottom of the doors, i just thought they did. thanks again

I had a physics teacher that always said there is no such thing as a dumb question, just the dummy that does'nt ask it:thumbsup:

i think you have just reflectors-like me. some ex's have half reflector and half light in the same place i believe?

Coincidence. I opened mine up this morning to find two very burnt looking bulbs. I have the half-n-half version too. '95 Eddie Bauer.

Going to the parts store to buy two new bulbs and will see if they work. I've had the truck for 11+ years and never thought of popping them open before.

Hope the new lamps will work.

$2.68 and 3 minutes invested. Now I have lights under the red reflector section. :thumbsup:

As far a the question why have them there: Helps on-coming cars see open doors at night for those parked on the roadside.

yep, i have the half red and clear lights too. changed the bubls on mine and they work. but i need to figure out how to remount one of the bulbs as i kinda ripedit off when i took the panel off

They are tough little buggers to get out. Not much to grip and hold-on to.

Maybe a needle-nose pliers and a small screwdriver can help dig out the remains.

Maybe they aren't on the 05-01 models. Hmm, I had a '94 and the reflector popped off. Haha.

IIRC, they had them for 95 and 96, but did away with them for 97 or 98... But don't quote me on that...

IIRC, they had them for 95 and 96, but did away with them for 97 or 98... But don't quote me on that...

i have a 98 and i have the half light reflectors so i dont think that accurate

The 96 EB i work on has lights..easy to check though..just pry up on the lower corner and look for a set of wires...

I've got a 98 4.0. I only have the red reflectors. I had the door panel off to repair a power lock problem and noticed that the bulb socket and wiring were inside the door panel, taped up by the interior handle. I just put the appropriate bulb in there and freed the wiring. Inserted it into the hole behind where the red reflector is. Now I have courtesy lights on my door.

Don't know why they'd put everyting there (except the bulb) and not even hook it up. I mean, the hole to screw the bulb assembly is even there.

If you have all red reflectors on the front door, you can probably get the 1/2 and 1/2 reflectors so you have good lighting. They're also good rear floor lighting when the door is closed... I don't know if the '98+ had 1/2 and 1/2 reflectors.

i dont have red reflectors on my 01 sport

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay, a follow up question to this. I replaced the bulbs and the passenger's side works fine, however, the driver's side courtesy light still doesn't work. I checked the wire, and followed it up in to the harness bundle: no frays, no exposed spots, no burn marks.

Any ideas on what else I can check to see if there is something wrong? It's not a very pressing issue, but, like most people, I'd like my stuff that's supposed to be working to work, lol.

Thanks for any input.

Jes

Back