Motorcraft front brake pads worth the extra coin? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Motorcraft front brake pads worth the extra coin?

sethpdx

Reaction score
City, State
portland
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
I am looking to replace my front brake pads on my 96 XLT. I found motorcraft pads for 67.59 + shipping on the internet.

At my local auto parts store they offer the "house brand" for $20 or $28 for ceramic pads.

My question is this, Do the Motorcraft pads perform 2-3 times better than the house brand that claims OEM Quality?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd look into some Hawk or similar high performance pads.. Don't forget about rotors.. The stock rotors aren't effecient enough.. A good quality set of cross drilled rotors will help on braking.

I've used Bendix pads ($38) and rotors ($45 /each) on several vehicles and had great luck with them.. The el-cheapo bargin pads and rotors are just what you pay for----junk.

Luckily they dont squeak very long cause they only last for about 10,000 miles before you spend the money on good set.

I would run away from cross drilled rotors. Slotted rotors are fine and worth it. Cross drilled usually start cracking. Furthermore, it's difficult to find shops that will service (turn) cross drilled rotors anymore.

i've yet to have a single problem with my cross drilled rotors and hawk pads (close to 2 years now), provide much better stopping power, especially in wet conditions. if you are worried about cross drilled ones cracking you can get the dimpled ones for a little more.

I am looking to replace my front brake pads on my 96 XLT. I found motorcraft pads for 67.59 + shipping on the internet.

At my local auto parts store they offer the "house brand" for $20 or $28 for ceramic pads.

My question is this, Do the Motorcraft pads perform 2-3 times better than the house brand that claims OEM Quality?

I wouldn't buy "house brand", they will either make noise, not last that long, or not give that last bit of performance when you need it most. You are doing it yourself and this is not the place to save a few bucks.
Bendix or Hawk is an excellent choice, but I do have Motorcraft rotors and pads on there now and the braking is just perfect, no noise and excellent stopping power. Seems like a perfect match. I don't know if its 2 or 3 times better but I'm very satisfied.

I just placed my order with summit racing. Im going with Hawk. Thanks for all the advice!

Put Bendix titanium on my wifes E-150 conversion van and that thing is hard to stop.These pads whoa it down the best I have seen so far.

Back