• Register Today It's free!

gravity bleed brakes

yellowcat

Reaction score
City, State
las cruces new mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 4x4
I opened all the bleeders on my X, and some looked like I hit a main artery, and some would not let any fluid out. I did the pump and bleed on all the bleeders and tried again. Same result, two bleed, two none. In the front I disconnected the line and it bleed great. I ran wire through all the bleeders. Even took the bleeders out. Brakes work great, I am just looking to change the fluid.
Generally, if thefluid is old, how many times do you pump and crack the bleeder till the fluid comes out clear, for both rear wheel cyclinders.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Which ones are not bleeding via gravity? The cylinders at the rear axle?
Did you remove the brake reservoir's cap during the gravity bleeding process?

Yes, I removed the cap. Left front-right rear are dry. I was going to invest in on of those vacuum bleeder guns, but money and jobs are dry as the desert out here.

"I opened all the bleeders on my X"

Did you open them all at the same time or just one at a time?

I opened them all. I am just going to do it the old fashion way. Everyone here is afraid of the heat, or just to damn lazy to pump the brakes.

I opened them all. I am just going to do it the old fashion way. Everyone here is afraid of the heat, or just to damn lazy to pump the brakes.

Use two people, one on the brake pedal and the 2nd to open one bleeder at a time.

Step 1: have assistant step on brakes
Step 2: crack 1 bleeder valve
Step 3: close bleeder valve
Step 4: have assistant remove foot from brakes
Step 5: repeat over and over again

Start with pass' rear, then driver's rear, pass' front, and end on driver's front

Back