What do PSI do you keep your tires at? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What do PSI do you keep your tires at?

motorhead19

Reaction score
City, State
Delaware native, living in NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT
Just curious,
I have 265/70/16 BFG A/T's on my '03 and have been keeping my tire pressure at 40 lbs. They've been on the X for roughly 15k, rotated every 3-4k, and I periodically check to make sure they are wearing evenly. So what do all you others with 265's, 285's, etc, keep your tires at?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 265/75/16s are rated at a max of 40PSI, so I run them at 36.

I run my 285's at 30lbs

40 psi

I run my 285's at 30lbs

I thought the TPMS was calibrated for 32PSI - have you bypassed it somehow, or have I got the calibration number wrong?

I thought the TPMS was calibrated for 32PSI - have you bypassed it somehow, or have I got the calibration number wrong?

No TPMS on my Ex.
But the sticker in the fuel door says 35lbs in the rear and 30lbs in the front.

Just curious,
I have 265/70/16 BFG A/T's on my '03 and have been keeping my tire pressure at 40 lbs. They've been on the X for roughly 15k, rotated every 3-4k, and I periodically check to make sure they are wearing evenly. So what do all you others with 265's, 285's, etc, keep your tires at?

Running my 235/70R16 (stock size) at 38-40. Running your tires at 40 (as long as they are rated to hold at least that) is a very safe place to be. In my Dodge that I had, I was running 285/75R16 at 42-45 because with the weight of the truck, it was the happy medium for ride quality and resistance.

I run my 265/75R16's at 37 normally and raise it higher when towing. (They are rated up to 65psi).

The TPMS is rated for 32. If your PSI drops below 32, you see the light. Going higher has no effect.

My Kumhos are rated for 50, I run @ 45.

Wow, 50! Just as a note, higher pressures are certainly better on the tarmac, but offraod, lower pressures are better for soaking up the bumps and making as a wide a foot print as possible in slippery conditions.

I run mine at 50 with nitrogen but it was a hard ride but 45 is much better. I would not do 50 with air only nitrogen.

Back