Getting more HP out of my X with this set up | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Getting more HP out of my X with this set up

Frey7190

Reaction score
City, State
SoCal
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Eddie Bauer
I own a 93 Xplorer Eddie B, with the famous 4.0 V6. It has 86k origonal miles, and at 65k I had the entire engine rebuilt from bare bones (from the bottom up). As with all rebuilds they drilled out the cylinder heads, making them slightly larger. One thing I've noticed is ever since that happened I lost a good amount of HP! (well it feels like I did, I haven't dyno'd so I wouldn't know spec wise) I put on a full cat back system, and had K&N make a brand new fully custom cone intake for it.

That helped out a little, but since last week, when I took it to my garage to have it fixed they installed new Fuel Injectors, valve covers, & spark plugs.
Sounds great ehh? Well not really, after walking out dropping 1,500$ the car feels like its dead! absolutly no HP, or torque. I also noticed that if you "punch" it from a stop, it takes a sec, and then goes.

I really hate its performance right now, and want to know what can/could I do to get some more ponies into it!

Thanks! :exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any CEL? Could be a vacuum leak, bad FPR or bad O2 sensors. Any other performance issues? (Example, Poor milage, black soot from the exhaust or a backfire through the Throttle Body)

Sorry to hear you got ripped off. :mad:

Your always better doing it yourself! :hammer:

302/351 swap would have been a better choice than a rebuild. The OHV's just aren't for power. 302's are a dime a dozen not to mention the tons of parts available. The 302 is a proven performer!

But you are already into a rebuild on this engine, so i'm sure you hate to hear this especially after spending so much. One thing to check for sure is to clean the MAF, most hesitation problems on these engines come from a dirty maf sensor.

Good Luck!

302/351 swap would have been a better choice than a rebuild. The OHV's just aren't for power. 302's are a dime a dozen not to mention the tons of parts available. The 302 is a proven performer!

But you are already into a rebuild on this engine, so i'm sure you hate to hear this especially after spending so much. One thing to check for sure is to clean the MAF, most hesitation problems on these engines come from a dirty maf sensor.

Good Luck!

What engine do I have then?? I thought I had a 302. What are the differences in the 351/302 vs. what I have?

Any CEL? Could be a vacuum leak, bad FPR or bad O2 sensors. Any other performance issues? (Example, Poor milage, black soot from the exhaust or a backfire through the Throttle Body)

Sorry to hear you got ripped off. :mad:

Your always better doing it yourself! :hammer:

Umm...
-No CEL's (i wish, I would have just plugged in my OBD reader)
-Vac leak, I dont think so, I took it in to the garage because it had a really rough idle and I thought it was the vacuum leak, but nope, vac is ok.
-MPG, I get about 11-12 mpg... 180-200mi per tank is my usual. I really dont get upset w/ that because I live were everything is on top of the hill, and homes are on the bottom of the hill lol. So I drive up and down, not to mention i'm 18 and with a cat-back system like mine, I like to make it hit 3000 rpm from stops.
- Backfires... Nope...
- Soot from exhaust... Nope..

The OHV is a 244cid V6....
The 302 and 351W are V8...

Stock Numbers
244 is a 4.0L = 160 HP
302 is a 5.0L = 300+HP
351 is a 5.8L = 350~400HP

Huge difference in power potential, and available parts.
Almost ZERO performance parts for the OHV, but all the parts in the world for the 302 or the 351W....

Search for explorer 302 swap, tons of info, and pretty straight forward. Look for a early 90s mustang v8 donor car and swap away! (Tons of them for SUPER cheap.)

The OHV's just aren't for power.

Haha lol funny you mention that... The reason I had to take it into the garage for the $1500 fix up was because I raced it from a stop against a Silverado.. Amazingly I won... But after driving petal to the metal for 3/4 of a mile with a slight up hill kinda made it rough idle badly and drip oil like no other... Hence the trip the mechanic....

-- stupidity isn't free --

..Just my thoughts...:scratch:

..If you oversized your stock exhaust pipe you lost low end torque...Since you installed the K&N filter, you probably need to now clean the oil from your MAF...:dunno:

...Your motor and A4LD trans (assuming you have the A4LD), are not built for racing..Racing will kill this trans before it's time..Not a cheap tranny to have rebuilt either (1500-1800 min.)

i'm going to guess the MAF needs a cleaning. CRC makes a maf sensor cleaner. Some people use electrical contact cleaner. The reason not to use carb cleaner is that it doesn't evaporate right away.

But if the MAF has never been cleaned ever, then its time.

The 302 and 351W are V8...

Stock Numbers
244 is a 4.0L = 160 HP
302 is a 5.0L = 300+HP
351 is a 5.8L = 350~400HP
I don't know where you're getting your numbers but a stock 5.0 doesn't make 300 HP, a sploder 5.0 is somehwere around 205 HP last time I checked.

The 302 crates come in at almost 350 from ford... Granted that isn't a "stock" engine but seriously the 300 range is pretty foolproof on a stock 302 after getting rid of all the restrictions.....

The 302 crates come in at almost 350 from ford... Granted that isn't a "stock" engine but seriously the 300 range is pretty foolproof on a stock 302 after getting rid of all the restrictions.....

Not from ford they don't. they still need to warranty from ford. you may be thinking of Jasper, or some other crate engine? and you may want to rephrase because I have yet to see a 5.0L put out 300 HP stock. that is what a built 302 can produce easily. but not stock.

I'm still kinda shocked to find out a 351 can fit in that cramped little hood :eek: .

Not from ford they don't. they still need to warranty from ford.

Direct from ford...
http://www.fordracingparts.com/crateengine/302smallblock.asp

Sure it is a "built" engine but you need to check your phrasing as well.....

Sure the "Stock" can range from 215 to 250, but when you are doing a swap most of the restrictive parts are going to be replaced. Not to mention if you are using a cheap donor you are going to have the block machined before installation.... Putting you in the 30 over range.

Now back to the real topic.....

Frey7190 did you ever have any luck after cleaning your MAF?

TRIED SEAFOAM? :smoke:

I put on a full cat back system, and had K&N make a brand new fully custom cone intake for it.

What size catback did you put on it. The OHVs don't like anything larger than the 2.25" stock size or else you loose back pressure and loose torque.

302 is a 5.0L = 300+HP

We're talking Explorers here, they came from 215HP from the factory and most escaped shortly there after.

Back