How to: - 1992 Power Window Bushing Replacement | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 1992 Power Window Bushing Replacement

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
literally ten seconds after i posted this i got it lol, and by the way my 7/16 hex nuts i bought were WAY to big! looks like im off to autozone!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

any sugestions on how to remove the c-clip? i dont want to break it,but am having troubles removing it with my smallest flat head i have,and if i do manage to break it what are the chances of it still working without a c-clip?

I just used a pair of needle nose pliers, laid them flat and placed each end on the points of the clip, gave it a little tap, and it pushed right off, easy stevie!

just got my front drivers side done!i had major problems with only two things,one being i didnt have a 1/2 inch dril bit so i had so "create" my own hole with a smaller drill bit,and two i had issues lining everything up once it was all put back together when i was bolting it back to my door my brother had to help me on that one lol. other than that it was a piece of cake! it probably saved me hundreds! i still have my drivers side door to do,hopefully it wont take me as long as it did today but with me once i do it once i can usually do it much faster the second time.Autozone,advance auto parts and orielys didnt have the gear plugs,they all wanted to sell me the whole window motor and the regulator wich is BS they were all asking $70-80.00 so i politely told all of them to go shove it up there you know what.I called napa and they had some,but only one set so i said what the hell i might as well do one now and the rest later.They had them for $8.99 wich wasnt too bad.They were really freindly and it actually seemed like they knew what they were talking about.Well i feel like i have written a book so im out!:thumbsup:thanks everyone!

when i was bolting it back to my door my brother had to help me on that one lol

When you do your drivers side, try using a magnet to start the bolts when reassembling. I have one of those telescoping pen/pocket size magnets. It worked like a charm. Look at the triangle shape the bolt holes make, and you can see on the dr panel how to line up the motor, hold in place, start bolts, tighten 95% with nut driver, tap the window switch to line up gear, and tighten down all the way. :)
I was thrilled to do it myself after reading the threads on this, cant wait to tackle other jobs.

Ill try that way when i tackle the drivers side,I have to wait untill next week when i have time to do it.Thanks for the tip!:thumbsup:

...I just used my thumb on one end of the c-clip to stop it from spinning...I used a flathead on the other side till there was enough room to pry it out...Mine came out real easy...:dunno:

You know, I had to replace my entire motor on the front door (quit altogether), so I went to the junkyard and got a used motor, and did the bearing swap before it was installed, and it's going like it's a brand new motor.

Ironically, as soon as I did that, my rear windows went out in succession. Driverside Rear went out in May, Passengerside rear just started acting up. This'll be done as soon as I can find someone in town who will let me use their drill for a couple hours.

Thanks again for doing this writeup, the money you'd save in this alone would pay for an elite membership.

just got my front drivers side done!i had major problems with only two things,one being i didnt have a 1/2 inch dril bit so i had so "create" my own hole with a smaller drill bit,and two i had issues lining everything up once it was all put back together when i was bolting it back to my door my brother had to help me on that one lol. other than that it was a piece of cake! it probably saved me hundreds! i still have my drivers side door to do,hopefully it wont take me as long as it did today but with me once i do it once i can usually do it much faster the second time.Autozone,advance auto parts and orielys didnt have the gear plugs,they all wanted to sell me the whole window motor and the regulator wich is BS they were all asking $70-80.00 so i politely told all of them to go shove it up there you know what.I called napa and they had some,but only one set so i said what the hell i might as well do one now and the rest later.They had them for $8.99 wich wasnt too bad.They were really freindly and it actually seemed like they knew what they were talking about.Well i feel like i have written a book so im out!:thumbsup:thanks everyone!

HOLY GIGANTOR PARAGRAPH BATMAN!!!

Hey josh. I could mail you my dewalt to use for a day

I've said it before and I'll say it again... Best site ever!!! did my driver side today with the pics in hand, better than the manual. Took about an hour and a half maybe two.

Check out the fuel relay if anyone is having battery troubles, this site helped me fix that as well!!!!

edit: I've since done all the rest and my time improved considerably! maybe half an hour for the last one.

...Glad you were able to resolve 2 issues on your X...Let's hope they are all as easy to fix...:D

i had this same problem on my bronco ll and i didn't know what the pieces were supposed to look like 'cause it was all ground into little pieces. i took the rubber bushing from a shock mount and cut it into 3 equal sized triangles and put it in place and it has been going now for over a year without any problems.

well guys thanks for the tips I'm going to attempt this after I get outta work. A buddy's motor's stopped working and is gonna trade me some Diamond headlights and corners for two window motors! Wahoo!

Thanks again

Just finished my 4th window - repaired as they failed. Couldn't have done it without your great walk thru pictures. f.y.i. - bought bushings on e-bay
6 for about $10.00 included shiping. Can't imagine the $$$$$$$$ I saved doing it myself. Thanks -- dah

it was so helpful

thanks dear friends for the info. it was so helpful, I can say how much I apreciate your help, I did't by myself and I only spen 2 dollar, the dealer will carge me 40, thanks a lot:salute: I got my navajo in Mexico:D

im doing it today

im about to do my driver front repair, ill take some pics and post them. ill also post the time taken to do the job.
i found the nylon bushings for just under 8.00 at XL auto parts. they have them at autozone.

post again in a bit.

oops

ok im too tired to put the pics up, i spent about 6 hours on one window. i couldnt find the hidden bolt and didnt see the dimple. got frustrated and went gung ho, drilled the three rivets.
dont so this, spent way too long getting it back in, and it dont fit right so i had to quit, too tired and dark to complete. have to start all over agin tommorrow.

another NO-NO,
dont take apart the motor housing, the 4 torx screws that holds the motor to round piece that holds the gear. spent a couple hours figuring out how to put that impossible turd back together. then it didnt test right so i did it all over again to realize i hadnt plugged in the realy thingy, DOH and DUH!

i took lots of pics of my blunders for the next guy not to do.

ill post those pics tommorrow when im done. for the other 3, im gonna clean old grease i can get to and lube the front and rear trim, seems to be sticking.

Hotsauce- I ended up in the exact same place as your post describes. Silly me followed the Haynes manual for removing the regulator and drilled the three rivets out, removed the bolts holding the lower guide bracket, got the motor out through the speaker, etc.

Now stuck because I can't get the whole assembly lined up and back in place. Seem to be fighting the spring regulator spring tension.

Any pics or thoughts on your solution would be very appreciated. Or from anyone for that matter. I'm working on a 91 drivers side.

Tom

sorry i havent had time to put up the pics yall.

cecil, i sent you a pm with directions and my cell #

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

pics

ok folks, here are hte pics i took during my mistake ridden repair.
if you havent done it before. DONT DRILL THE RIVETS!!
you can clean the tracks and lube them and pull the motor without drilling the rivets. it will save you several hours and a lot of cussing plus a few cuts on your hands. just drill the dimple hole and pull the three bolts to get motor out.

now these pics are not in order so here goes:

wimdowmotor.jpg

windowmotor8.jpg

window.jpg

window2.jpg

window3.jpg

windowmotor2.jpg

windowmotor3.jpg

windowmotor5.jpg

windowmotor6.jpg

windowmotor7.jpg

notice the tiny blue wire i used to hold the motor brushes in to get the motor back together...........

oh yeh in the last pic i used a magnet to hold the bolt on my socket

Back