• Register Today It's free!

Sreet Scene Grille???

edgar_88

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT
A while back i bought the street scene grille for my 03 on ebay. Its been sitting in my garage for awhile because I wanted to wait for my lift and install it all at once, but ive decicded to install it now. BUT now i am skeptical about whether or not its the right grille. Ive lined it up with the oem and it doesnt really line up with "frame", so i dont wanna cut the oem grille before being sure its the right one. Anyone have a street scene grille that can enlighten me??? or does the knowledgable roadbully or donner have advice at all????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know that taking off your original grille doesn't require any cutting...
Frontend.jpg

Would be pretty easy to take it off and do a test fit before you make anything final.
I know I'm not too much help, but I've not installed a grille on my X yet.

Ben

they way the street scene grille is installed is: take off the stock grille (which ive done), then youre supposed to cut off all the vertical and horizontal bars so that it clips on to the chrome "frame" and screws on like a factory grille. but my problem is that im not 100% conviced its the one for an Ex...... so i dont want to cut and end up with no grille. dont know what to do

Can you post a picture of the street scene grill?

well i got a chance to post them sooner, this is my first time posting pics so i hope it works
this is the street scene grille
DSC02172.jpg

this is the left side which looks like it might work
DSC02171.jpg

but this is the gap on the right that has me skeptical
DSC02170.jpg

Yeah, it looks like even if you split the difference, and set it back in where it's supposed to be it would still be short...
Has anyone already installed this that can tell us if this is the right part??

well i found someone who has the same grille, and he gave me the measurments and they're a match. so im just ganna go ahead and cut it, ill post pics within a week or so for anyone whos interested

Yeah, post em up when you get it done. :thumbsup:

Yeah - I've been considering a different grill for my X but haven't decided on which one yet. I'd be interested to see it installed.

-Melon

I want to see what it looks like on the explorer.

well here it is, you cant really tell from the pics but its a little rough on the chrome frame, so eventually im ganna sand it down good and probably paint the fram black, maybe flat black but for now here it is:

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

Nice, that turned out great!

That is brilliant - much better look than the billet grilles, IMO. I reckon the mesh would look better in black, but the silver doesn't look too bad at all.

How hard was it to cut the old plastic frame out, and are the bits where you removed it from the chrome outside bit visible?

yeah, that would look SWEET black or gunmetal!
Looks good as is too, but I'm just thinking on a white background like my ex, I'd haveto paint it.

Ben

I think black would definitely compliment your blacked-out headlights

How hard was it to cut the old plastic frame out, and are the bits where you removed it from the chrome outside bit visible?

it wasnt hard to cut at all, just really think about what needs to be cut and what doesnt before you start and you're good. yes you can't tell in the pic but there are areas where you can see the bits, but im ganna sand it down better and paint it black, im still thinking about whether im ganna paint the actual grille black though

well here it is, you cant really tell from the pics but its a little rough on the chrome frame, so eventually im ganna sand it down good and probably paint the fram black, maybe flat black but for now here it is:

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

looks really nice bro..but the emblem not being exactly in the middle is killing me lol

looks really nice bro..but the emblem not being exactly in the middle is killing me lol

hahaha, yea me too, thats what happens when you leave the simplest task to an incompitant friend!! im probably ganna paint it though so itll be re done! ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back