Opion on wires/plugs?! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Opion on wires/plugs?!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bigger wires and copper plugs will do just fine.

Motorcraft plugs!:usa:

I just replaced mine. I went to Advance Auto and bought the Motorcraft Platinum Plugs and the Autolite Plug wires. So far so good. I had the guy at the counter say that the Motorcraft Wires are slightly better, but not by much. The Autolites were all they had in stock and seem like a good quality wire.

296k on Motorcraft plugs installed at the required intervals w/ no mishaps. They're proven in my Ex. I wanted the Motorcraft Wires, but they were a bit pricey here and I wound up ordering NGK wires at the local NAPA store for about $56. They appear to be of quality construction. . . So far, so good.

296k on Motorcraft plugs installed at the required intervals w/ no mishaps. They're proven in my Ex. I wanted the Motorcraft Wires, but they were a bit pricey here and I wound up ordering NGK wires at the local NAPA store for about $56. They appear to be of quality construction. . . So far, so good.

Which Motorcraft Plugs do you use?

To: ricklee4570, Which Motorcraft Plugs do you use?

Motorcraft Platinum Plugs at around $4.50 per pop at the local auto store.

Taylor wires and splitfire plugs is what I'm running. Gave me a little boost. So far so good!

im running autolite platinums in both of my explorers as well as autolite wires and havnt had any trouble. i first purchased motorcraft wires for my 5.0 but they fell apart in 2 weeks, yeah, so i went for the autolites. funny since autolite makes motorcrafts plugs and i was assuming wires too? idk, but yeah autolite platinums.

getting a lot of good input. i wouldnt really have thought about, but when they did a vehicle look over while doing the brake lines, the mechanic pointed out that the orig lines and plugs were on it... at 215k miles same with oil filter. told me to go home and do them my self cause they charge out the @$$ to do em. so I wanted to get everyones opinon! thank yall!

Bosch Platinum 4s with Bosch plug wires. Have been debating on trying out those new Pulse plugs, but for 25$ per plug I am a little apprehensive.

honestly.. bosch platinum 2s (dual tip) and +4s (quad tip) do not perform well in a vehicle with a basic DIS. The only vehicles that i have found while working in the parts business that benefit from these plugs are vehicles that came with them factory or vehicles with a hotter running ignition system. for the good 'ol 4.0 i would just go with a single tip platinum plug. IMO.

getting a lot of good input. i wouldnt really have thought about, but when they did a vehicle look over while doing the brake lines, the mechanic pointed out that the orig lines and plugs were on it... at 215k miles same with oil filter. told me to go home and do them my self cause they charge out the @$$ to do em. so I wanted to get everyones opinon! thank yall!

It had the original oil filter on after 215k miles? Honestly, I find this hard to believe. If it was ever taken anywhere to have the oil changed they changed the filter. There's no way it's original! That thing would have to be just about fused to the oil adapter then.

Im gonna try to climb under this weekend and take pics, he said it had the FORD symbol on it with serial numbers. I wouldnt put it past the org owner, he lied about a bunch that im finding out...

After 50, k miles the oil pressure goes for a crap and deosnt come back till you change the oil and oil filter.

Maybe it was just changed at Ford? I noticed a decrease in performance with synthetic oil when I ran a regular filter for 7k miles,replaced it and all was good... at 215k that engine would've been ****.

yeah could be it was replaced by ford.. didnt think of that, in hoping to hell it aint fused, ill try to look at it get it off this weekend. i know i have an oil leak somewhere about every 2 tho miles, my oil drops badly, needing refilled

do these motors respond fairly well to new plugs, as in....changing plugs which have been on the car for say, 40-60k miles?

most of my wrenching is on my old 1988 BMW (custom turbo motor), but honestly, this Ex is just my spare ride and i don't know jack about it!

next i need to explore whether my tranny is about to retire.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey i climbed under there.. couldnt get a decent pic, cleaned off the filter, its white... nothing else but FORD and some serial numbers.

Back