• Register Today It's free!

button on rearview mirror?

Russ in CT

Reaction score
City, State
Milford, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
So I bought this '02 Ex, EB, and on the rearview mirror there is this round button, has that universal 'power button' symbol on it (that circle with a line at the bottom). Not sure what this button is for, autodim for mirror glare?

Anyway, sometimes when I push the button, a little green LED to the left of the button lights up (and pressing it a second time turns this light off), but usually when I press it just doesn't do anything at all (no light, etc).

What does this button do, how does it work?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not sure, but the auto mirror has changed over the years. I used my 93 Limited mirror in my 99, it has two left buttons for the dimming function. One is power(with light), and the other is a manual dim button(with light).

All of the Explorers before 2002 have the auto headlight control in the mirror, a power button for that as well. Those have a sliding time adjustment also. Post a picture if you can.

Attachments

• 93 Limited mirror.JPG
    93 Limited mirror.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 5,501

It activates the optional rocket launchers....
JK, I wondered that myself, seeing that other trucks have those and mine doesn't...

I take it your speedometer is broken. Either that or I wish my Explorer could do 120!

That was about 70mph, yes it needed a little adjustment.

So I bought this '02 Ex, EB, and on the rearview mirror there is this round button, has that universal 'power button' symbol on it (that circle with a line at the bottom). Not sure what this button is for, autodim for mirror glare?
Correct, it toggles the Autodimming Mirror on and off.

So then what is the green LED? When its lit, is auto dim active, or inactive?

Should each press of the buton toggle the LED on/off? Cause mine doesn't.

Tell me how this thing is supposed to work.

So then what is the green LED? When its lit, is auto dim active, or inactive?

Should each press of the buton toggle the LED on/off? Cause mine doesn't.

Tell me how this thing is supposed to work.

green means its on and operational. No light means it's off. I think i've only turned mine off once and that was to make sure the button worked.

Interesting, the early models had two buttons and lights, the 98-01(?) trucks have no buttons(full time), and now they have one button/light.

This button...

The green light should illuminate every time you start the vehicle... it is Autodim. To press it turns Autodim off. Your mirror uses Autodim as it sees fit, which could be at any time. To press it is to turn it off, but during the day time you will hardly notice any change.

Attachments

• IMGA0089.JPG
    IMGA0089.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 4,739

OK, so I can confirm now mine is broken. Light does not come on, except every once in a while. Its not just a fuse, since it sometimes does work (at least, the light comes on, don't know yet if it actually autodims or not).

I do know that the mirror fell off the windshield, and PO glued it back in place (using that auto parts store glue kit for mirrors) just prior to sale. Any suggestions on what to look for? Obviously loose connector, any other ideas? Perhaps the mirror itself got damaged in the fall?

Yes check the connectors behind the mirror. The mirrors themselves are very reliable, the heavy ones fall off in the heat. Try to use the Ford kit if you can, some of the auto parts store have poor kits.

Yup, loose wire(s). If I wiggle the 3 wires on the 9 pin plug (referenced in link above), it works like its supposed to. For a while, until I hit a bump, etc. Wires must have gotten strained when mirror fell off (PO).

I'll have to see if I can splice in some new wire.

Thx guys.

Back