OHV to SOHC swap | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OHV to SOHC swap

More HP, torque and better fuel economy. Although I currently have both an OHV and SOHC Explorer and I think the only way they have more power is because they are much happier running at higher RPMs and you can run them higher. I have also always had good fuel economy with the OHVs. My SOHC does average about 2MPG better than my OHV but it's a 2door 2wd verses a 4dr 4wd.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the ohv in my 98, and I love it.
Just out of curiosity, what's so much better about the sohc?

wish I had the OHV in my 99.. I was going to start a post just the OPPOSITE of this one:

SOHC to OHV swap

anyone done it ???

You could failry easily bolt an OHV into your SOHC truck

Bottom line:

Gen II explorer's came with OHV, SOHC and 5.0L drivetrains, so you can bolt in any of the three

I personally would not go from SOHC to OHV, instead I would go from SOHC to 5.0L V8

You could failry easily bolt an OHV into your SOHC truck

Bottom line:

Gen II explorer's came with OHV, SOHC and 5.0L drivetrains, so you can bolt in any of the three

I personally would not go from SOHC to OHV, instead I would go from SOHC to 5.0L V8

that has crossed my mind too..I may just have to search around to see what all is needed and involved in doing that

1. park 99-01 Explorer 5.0L donor next to yours
2. start wrenching

I have the ohv in my 98, and I love it.
Just out of curiosity, what's so much better about the sohc?
Keep the OHV. I had a 92 (RedEB- hence the name) and it ran perfectly until I sold it at 160K). My SOHC is rattling like a marble in a tin can at just 150K even though I had the recall done at 115K. Don't get the SOHC, it's a money-pit.
I love my truck but I am definitely a little bitter after this whole timing chain fiasco.

Keep the OHV. I had a 92 (RedEB- hence the name) and it ran perfectly until I sold it at 160K). My SOHC is rattling like a marble in a tin can at just 150K even though I had the recall done at 115K. Don't get the SOHC, it's a money-pit.I love my truck but I am definitely a little bitter after this whole timing chain fiasco.

aint that the truth..:salute:
every time I get in mine,the first thought I have is " Is this thing gonna make it to the end of street,let alone the 30 miles I plan on going ??"

ball bearings in a blender and then some. Its been about the same here,it was done once around 100k,now it has just over 135k and needs it again:mad:

aint that the truth..:salute:
every time I get in mine,the first thought I have is " Is this thing gonna make it to the end of street,let alone the 30 miles I plan on going ??"

ball bearings in a blender and then some. Its been about the same here,it was done once around 100k,now it has just over 135k and needs it again:mad:

LOL, I think the same thing when I start mine up. Does it sound OK in park but horrible in gear? Mine sounds pretty good in park, but the minute I put into D or R, man, sensitive ears beware!
Absolutely ridiculous. Mine started making the noise around 138K but it was just a small ticking and noise on startup, not a big deal. Now it sounds like, well, exactly as you described. The guys at Ford even say that I would be wiser just junking the motor given its mileage than having it repaired...don't know if I agree with that. At this point, I'm thinking I might just sell it and get a 5.0L or a 3rd gen. The SOHC should be called the SUHC. :mad:
I feel your pain man.

The SOHC has about $200 in parts that need replacing in pre 2002 models. Ideally two parts should be done every 75k, and other at 100k or so. That $200 in parts is not worth scrapping the whole truck or engine though. Also do not keep driving it trying to get a few more miles out of $200 of parts.

Replace the parts. Find a decent source to do the labor(less than a day), and get it done.

The SOHC has about $200 in parts that need replacing in pre 2002 models. Ideally two parts should be done every 75k, and other at 100k or so. That $200 in parts is not worth scrapping the whole truck or engine though. Also do not keep driving it trying to get a few more miles out of $200 of parts.

Replace the parts. Find a decent source to do the labor(less than a day), and get it done.

$200 in parts and 1000 in labor, it's not a cheap fix. Also, if my problem was simply the front tensioner, it wouldn't be a big deal, but my problem is the rear chain. As we both know, doing that is a hefty job requiring either the removal of the engine or the trans (I'd just remove the engine....it'd just be easier.). The SOHC is not a bad powerplant, but if a ~$1400 is required every 75K miles, then that is just ridiculous, especially if the rear end ever craps out, then your talking another $1700! To get this car fixed would require almost $3100...that is more than it is worth at this point. I see your point, but it is not just a $200 job.

The comparison of the repairs should consider labor rates. There have been a bunch of members here who have quoted $3500 and more for a replacement engine.

The point is that some of us can find a $750 used engine, others will pay $2000 and more for the same engine installed. The scope of the possible costs are very wide. I have under $200 in my SOHC not counting items that I would do for any new vehicle I buy.

I hope to reach 150k, and then begin plotting for an engine/trans swap. If I thought that I could use the truck for another 100k miles, I'd find and swap in a better used engine and trans. My truck will likely though be retired soon because my employer is about to supply a work truck.

The comparison of the repairs should consider labor rates. There have been a bunch of members here who have quoted $3500 and more for a replacement engine.

The point is that some of us can find a $750 used engine, others will pay $2000 and more for the same engine installed. The scope of the possible costs are very wide. I have under $200 in my SOHC not counting items that I would do for any new vehicle I buy.

I hope to reach 150k, and then begin plotting for an engine/trans swap. If I thought that I could use the truck for another 100k miles, I'd find and swap in a better used engine and trans. My truck will likely though be retired soon because my employer is about to supply a work truck.

True. Realistically, $3500 for a replacement engine is pretty reasonable and it is ludicrous to assume an engine will last forever without some maintenance costs. I am just bitter because my tranny crapped on me the day before my wedding (Oh god was that a scramble...), had the transfercase crap on me 2 days before I took the national dental board exam (it was spectacular at least!) and now the engine. I would be willing to bet your SOHC will easily last 150K and will go much beyond that. Judging by your maintenance and your knowledge on this engine (I have referred multiple times to your posts), I'm sure your motor will last a good long time. With regards to my truck, I have spent so much money on it without any end in sight of costly repairs, and I am at my wits end. If the motor died tomorrow, I'd sell it off for scrap metal and start fresh with another X (NOT a SOHC). Congrats on the work vehicle...any word on what type?
Back to the original thread.... GO 5.0L!!!!!! :thumbsup::D

True. Realistically, $3500 for a replacement engine is pretty reasonable and it is ludicrous to assume an engine will last forever without some maintenance costs. I am just bitter because my tranny crapped on me the day before my wedding (Oh god was that a scramble...), had the transfercase crap on me 2 days before I took the national dental board exam (it was spectacular at least!) and now the engine. I would be willing to bet your SOHC will easily last 150K and will go much beyond that. Judging by your maintenance and your knowledge on this engine (I have referred multiple times to your posts), I'm sure your motor will last a good long time. With regards to my truck, I have spent so much money on it without any end in sight of costly repairs, and I am at my wits end. If the motor died tomorrow, I'd sell it off for scrap metal and start fresh with another X (NOT a SOHC). Congrats on the work vehicle...any word on what type?
Back to the original thread.... GO 5.0L!!!!!! :thumbsup::D

Yeah... the timing chain issues in the SOHC are the worst part about it. But, all things considered, it's still a great motor. The tranny problems and tcase failure you mentioned aren't real typical. Timing chains... well, obviously, that is a typical problem.

To anyone getting it done, DO THE WHOLE THING AT ONCE. By this I mean, don't do the recall on JUST the front chain. Logically speaking, if you're going to pay the labor to have one done, buck up and get them BOTH done. Save yourself the time and money. If one chain is failing (or failed), it probably won't be long before the other goes too. Get them fixed together, save yourself the hassle, and be done with it!

As for how long an engine will last without maintainence, well... We have numerous customers come through the shop with 300,000+ mi on their rigs, with ZERO actual repairs to date. Ironically, I can think of a couple offhand whose rigs live in the dirt, day in, day out (farmers). Why do they last so long? Extremely rigorous about oil changes and appropriate service work. Oil changes, trans/tcase, differential servicing, etc, are all performed to the T. And they reap the benefits of it. The initial cost is somewhat more, but the long-term benefits are huge.

Yeah... the timing chain issues in the SOHC are the worst part about it. But, all things considered, it's still a great motor. The tranny problems and tcase failure you mentioned aren't real typical. Timing chains... well, obviously, that is a typical problem.

To anyone getting it done, DO THE WHOLE THING AT ONCE. By this I mean, don't do the recall on JUST the front chain. Logically speaking, if you're going to pay the labor to have one done, buck up and get them BOTH done. Save yourself the time and money. If one chain is failing (or failed), it probably won't be long before the other goes too. Get them fixed together, save yourself the hassle, and be done with it!

As for how long an engine will last without maintainence, well... We have numerous customers come through the shop with 300,000+ mi on their rigs, with ZERO actual repairs to date. Ironically, I can think of a couple offhand whose rigs live in the dirt, day in, day out (farmers). Why do they last so long? Extremely rigorous about oil changes and appropriate service work. Oil changes, trans/tcase, differential servicing, etc, are all performed to the T. And they reap the benefits of it. The initial cost is somewhat more, but the long-term benefits are huge.

^^^^^True that. What pisses me off most is that I baby my rig, do routine oil changes with Amsoil every 3500 miles (I know...wasteful...) and rarely accelerate to the point the tach goes above 2500. I got a VERY early 97 model year, so I will scratch this one up to failures of a newly designed powerplant.
Also, DO get both done because it will end up biting you in the arse later on. I paid to have both done when I hit 100K miles, then the dealership only did the front, stating the rear "looked A-OK." Pissed off because I paid for the labor to have the engine removed (doubt they even took it out :rolleyes: ), I threatened some legal action if they didn't make it right. Luckily for me, they refused and before I could pursue it any more, the dealership folded. Do get both done.
On another note, any one want to buy a 97 X? :D

I started using the Amsoil Signature series oil last October, plus their filter. The $50 or so cost is lasting me 10,000 miles or more. I loved that I had no oil consumption after 9500 miles. My father has a 2002 Cadillac with the built in 1qt/1000 miles of oil consumption. The normal life for Amsoil can be 25k miles, I consider my use severe, I'll go 12.5k miles.

My new work truck will be a worn out old city mail truck, the big white box(LLV). They have no AC, ABS, or back windows, I call that junk. They are supposed to last 24 years(long life vehicle), but as I recall they came out new in the early 80's.

Pissed off because I paid for the labor to have the engine removed (doubt they even took it out :rolleyes: ).

No doubt, (excuse the language haha), but I would **** a brick if I were you. I agree they probably didn't pull the motor if they didn't do the bulletin on the back chain. Or, they're simply just that lousy of a dealership. I just can't understand the logic of pulling the motor and NOT taking the time to finish the recall. Perhaps they charged you the labor knowing that when/if the rear chain did go, they'd get double labor when they changed it for you.

However, I can definitely vouch for dealership lousiness. My buddy had an '02 'Yota Camry that the throttle suddenly starting sticking on. He took it to the dealership and got quoted over $1400 for a whole new throttle body because the blades just "wouldn't close". I convinced him to let me play with it on the scanner, and low and behold, he had just tweaked the gas pedal-TPS sensor assembly when he ran the stereo cables through the firewall. A little recalibration on the pedal, and bam, he was back in business.

My opinion of dealerships? Run and hide from them.

My opinion of dealerships? Run and hide from them.

Or do what I did and join them. Much easier to learn from your coworkers and you'll never get dicked over since you do your own work ;) You are right, however: dealers are there to make as much $$ as possible, not to make you a happy camper. The big advantage of a dealership is that they deal with their specific make so much more than a ma & pa garage that they're more aware of the multitude of problems and causes, as well as how to fix them more efficiently.

Fyi, the rear one is not hard to get to at all if you unbolt the trans and loosen the motor mounts. I can get both hands and a wrench in there :p:

ANYway, my question is about the heater box.. I guess that was just an issue on Brett's 1st gen? It shouldn't be an issue if you're swapping a SOHC into an OHV second gen, right? Oh, and what sensors have to be swapped over?

has anyone considered a 4.6 litre swap from a crown victoria? i've seen x-police vehicles go cheap, $600 at auto auctions, with low mileage.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4.6L conversion is being done but its NOT easy
Well unless you consider frame, steering, and brake booster modifications easy

Back