• Register Today It's free!

Missing Rattle Clip... Again

snoborder42

Reaction score
City, State
Maple Valley/Downtown Seattle, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT 4x4
I changed the front pads a few months ago on my 92. I put on new anti rattle clips on both sides. About a month afterwards I discovered a noise from the driver side wheel. I found out that the clip had somehow fallen out. I replaced it and now it has done it again. This is getting irritating :fire: and I'm sick of replacing these stupid things. I was wondering if you guys could point me into the right direction as to why this thing keeps falling out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why don't you get good pads that have them built into the pad? Every set of brake pads I have used for an X has them built in. That's why I had no clue what these were till someone posted a pic. Maybe the parts computers are weird for a 92 & give pads that don't have them built in? Try 94 pads.

I didn't even know that they had pads with them built in. :confused: The ones that I pulled off had seperate clips and so do the new ones. I also looked on my Ford CD and it showed the exact same thing. I may have to look into these if the clips continue to do this but I really don't want to throw away my brand new ceramic pads.

Are you tucking/wedging the clips along side the pad, in the slot on the caliper? They should make the pad fit tight, with a spring-like action. I never found a need for them until i used AutoZone's Durlast pads, which seemed to actually be a hair smaller then the bendix. I was chasing around a clicking noise for weeks until i realized it was just a stoopid clip.

Could someone post a pic of a properly installed clip for the '92? Or direct me to a pic of one installed?
Thanks!

azmab

It's really not that hard, you install the clip onto the bottom of the inside pads. You slide the square slot onto the bottom, and the piece that you can push on and it acts like a spring is supposed to be installed so it provides tension and keeps the pad tight.

http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/jpg/small/0900823d800e3147.jpg

Not a good one, but you should be able to figure it out...

Thanks Blacksheep Josh.
The pads, or what was left of them, had no clips. The new pads, Raybestos, comes without clips. I assume what came with the replacement slide pins are the clips from the way you describe the install. If so, they're twice as wide as the pad. Sorry for the ignorance, just have never seen one.

:thumbsup:That's the bad-boy that came with the slide pins!! Thanks for the pic, astaroth.

no problem

i have same problem. Just got my new pads and waiting to install them. It took me days to find a good pic.

Is there any danger to running it without the clips besides the annoying noise?

There is the possibility that a crack could develop in the pad due to excessive play.

I'm not certain on this but if seems to be a good possibility. I would think that Ford put it there for a reason... :dunno:

I've gone without the passenger side clip before. I didn't noticed anything different other then it pulled a little to one side while braking "HARD"... like slamming on teh brakes, and even then it wasn't to bad. So yeah you can go without it, but don't do it long. In my instance I did for about 2-3 months cause I forgot about it, but have since replaced them since changing my pads last go around.

-Josh

This exlains the annoying chattering noise I get on rough roads.

Didn't used to have the problem. Till I replaced my pads. (dude at the tire shop told me they were worn and that the rivets were about to show. I was skepticle seeing as these pads are bonded not riveted by I went ahead and changed em anyway.

The ones I pulled out were only half used.)

I thought it was because I didn't use and brake pad grease, but I think this is why.

Back