Wanted Need Help

Parts or services wanted

92 Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Hello my name is Austin. I have a 92 Ford Explorer that i had just recently bought for a project car. i would like to add a lift to it but i have no idea where to start.i am new to this whole thing with susspension lifts and i am looking for some experienced help to tell me alittle bit about adding lifts on Explorers and what type of problems i might run into. Any possible information in general about lifts and adding lifts to explorers and other things that i might have to change after the lift would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! Sometimes lifted vehicles need to extend wiring harnesses. Bigger tires require either a different speedometer gear or an electronic calibration depending upon the year of the vehicle.

The extent of the changes required will be dependant on the size of lift. If you opt for a 2" lift then nothing else needs to be changed although stock shocks will be operating at max extension when unloaded. It will allow you to run 31" tires without rub issues or fender trimming. If you go higher, 4" or more, then you will have to extend brake hoses, longer shocks, most likely change pitman arm, possible regear diff ratio. Also the size of the tire you chose may require some fender trimming. There is a sticky in the tires and wheels forum with a chart depicting max sizes. There is lot of info on this site on the various lifts and work involved, one of the more popular is the SOA (spring over axle) conversion which will net between 4.5 and 5.5". The first question you have to answer is what is your intended use for this vehicle ie: rock crawling, mudding or just standing out a bit in town.

92 Explorer

First off I would like to thank the two guys that gave me some information about lifts and that was a great help after i had just started on this website. Second is, in my first post i had asked about some things and they got answered but also a couple more questions came up afterwards. Here is my situation, i have 92 ford explorer that i would like to add a 5.5" lift to make more room for larger tires. i want to do this for cosmetics and a slight possiblity of offroading for hunting. Now i am not really experienced with cars and the more i read about lift the more i thought i should have a mechanic put the lift on , so i found a mechanic that would do it but wanted me to make sure that every thing would be included in the kit. So inorder for me to do that i need to know, with a 5.5" lift what would possible be messed with and need up grading. I was looking at a Superlift from offroadunlimited.com. So really i am looking for all the information possible to make sure that when i buy my first lift kit i dont screw up on it, and any possible things to watch out for when buying. Thanks for any possible asnwers and thanks again for the help

After checking out the site you had listed and Superlift's own site as well it appears everything needed for the lift itself is included in the kit. A lift is also a good time to convert the radial arm bushings over to poly vice the worn out rubber ones that get baked by the exhaust, Particularly the driver's side. Bushing kits are quite cheap for that, you might want to consider it. The kit does not provide the front and rear diff regearing parts. Depending on tire size you chose, assuming at that height you are considering 33's or 35's with fender trimming, you will want to run a 4.10 ratio or even better and a must with 35's a 4.56 ratio. I'm sure some of our more experienced 5.5" lifted peeps can help you more on this.

I liked my Rancho kit (no longer available) it was a 3" lift with extended radius arms that allowed more travel to the front end for a smoother ride off road. Right now i have a James Duff that is kind of the same with the extended radius arms. But different ends that don't require the bushings. In time I guess we'll see how this one works. But if you want to find a complete kit the Skyjacker looks very nice. http://www.skyjacker.com/products/products_search/detail/?id=11328

Hey thanks Bashman. where would you recommend to get the bushings

Okay, hey got another question. I was looking for the cheapest and best way to put a 5-6" lift to my explorer. i was looking at a combination of body lifts and suspension lifts. my first question would be, what would be possible problems i would run into with that and also i wanted to know if body lift are legal in Pa. I heard some thing about how they were no longer legal. and also i heard that with body lifts i need extensions and that can be a pain in the but in the long run. so any possible info i greatly appreciated, and thanks for all the help i have received

Back