• Register Today It's free!

5 speed shifting problem

visor mirror

Reaction score
City, State
Beacon Falls, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT 5 spd
I have a 1991 Explorer 5 speed with 210,000 miles. I installed a new engine at 158,000 and put in a new clutch, and slave cylinder with the integrated bearing. Currently having trouble shifting, as you slow down it is necessary to be down shifting and get into first gear before stopping or it isn’t going into first or any other gear.

The trans stays in every gear once you get there. I have read that if the slave cylinder and bearing are worn the difficult shifting is a symptom, but it has only been 52,000 miles ago.

I not familiar enough with this transmission and I am not sure if it is a slave cylinder condition or a transmission problem.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 1993 ford explorer with 5 speed use to have troubles shifting into 1 and hard into second. THat was after i had a new clutch and slave cylinder put in. I was told it was probably something with the syncronizers. But I also found, that if i gave it a little gas, it would shift into first when i did have problems with it.

haha i was wondering that same question bc mine has the same problem im actually taking it to the mechanic later this week and ill let you know what the problem is i just down **** when im coming to a stop and this put it in first and sit in first gear it kills your leg sometimes when you get to those really long lights ha

I know this may sound stupid but here goes. I own a 1993 Mustang GT and had the same problem. Of course its 5 speed. It was under warranty and still have the invoice. Hope this helps. Also I own two Explorers..

From the Shop foreman ordered 1 2 synchro and blocker ring. replaced output shaft including 1st and 2nd synchros. replaced worn 2nd gear. replaced 5th gear spacer. Replaced output shaft bearing.

haha i was wondering that same question bc mine has the same problem im actually taking it to the mechanic later this week and ill let you know what the problem is i just down **** when im coming to a stop and this put it in first and sit in first gear it kills your leg sometimes when you get to those really long lights ha

keep us updated. mine does the same thing after a clutch replacement, and its been like this ever since. kinda a pain, but its livable

Thank you for all the great comments and feedback. Considering the rough shifting continues after a slave cylinder change tells me the transmission is the culprit. More than likely the synchronizers are worn and don’t slow the gears down enough to let them engage.

However I’m very interested in the mechanics evaluation at the end of the week. Please keep us posted

I have a 1991 Explorer 5 speed with 210,000 miles. I installed a new engine at 158,000 and put in a new clutch, and slave cylinder with the integrated bearing. Currently having trouble shifting, as you slow down it is necessary to be down shifting and get into first gear before stopping or it isn’t going into first or any other gear.

The trans stays in every gear once you get there. I have read that if the slave cylinder and bearing are worn the difficult shifting is a symptom, but it has only been 52,000 miles ago.

I not familiar enough with this transmission and I am not sure if it is a slave cylinder condition or a transmission problem.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

While it is possibly the slave cylinder making it hard to shift into first, with this transmission being hard to shift into first after you come to a stop is completely typical. We have owned 7 fords with this transmission and they all do it even with low miles. A trick is when you are slowing down and at just a couple miles an hour or so lightly try to push it into first and hold it there. The syncronizers will hold it out of gear until the gears get to the correct speed and sync. It should then pop right into gear which will probably be at about 1mph or slower. If you have a particularly stubborn transmission after you stop and it's in neutral pop out the clutch and push it right back in then try to put it into gear. If that doesn't work then while you're rolling real slow coming to a stop and you're lightly holding the stick trying to push it into first pop out the clutch real quick and then right back in taking pressure off of the stick just while you're letting the clutch out and then trying to lightly push it back into first as soon as the clutch is back in. Playing the clutch like that will help it to sync.

Air in the clutch hydraulics or a sticky pilot bearing will cause those symptoms, it can be a royal PITA to bleed the air out. It is not "normal", something is wrong, synchros are not likely but if they are, stop shifting into 1st at more than 5 MPH! I know a lot of people that shift into 1st at too high of speed and the snychros aren't designed for it and you'll work them harder than necessary.

I would blame the slave before the trans. Even if you put a new slave in, it may have been a lower quality piece, or more likely, didn't get bled well.

I do not have any difficulty shifting into first or second as long as I’m moving. I’m shifting into first moments before stopping under 5 MPH. The real problem is if I stop and shift into neural to give the leg a rest it is nearly impossible to get back to first or stopping in traffic to Parallel Park and can’t get into reverse. There have been a few instances where I needed to shut off the truck and shift into gear, without the engine running it shifts without ant problem.

This seems that it has been a progressive issue as I do not remember this for the entire time we had the truck.

I do not have any difficulty shifting into first or second as long as I’m moving. I’m shifting into first moments before stopping under 5 MPH. The real problem is if I stop and shift into neural to give the leg a rest it is nearly impossible to get back to first or stopping in traffic to Parallel Park and can’t get into reverse. There have been a few instances where I needed to shut off the truck and shift into gear, without the engine running it shifts without ant problem.

This seems that it has been a progressive issue as I do not remember this for the entire time we had the truck.

that is the same exact thing as mine is doing and there has been some times where ive to shut it off and pop it gear and then go.
But i did drop off my truck at the mechanic so he should be getting back with me soon but ill keep everyone informed.

If it's doing it in reverse too, it's NOT a trans problem. There is air in the hydraulics from either a leaking slave or a poor bleed. OR the pilot bearing is sticky and won't let the input shaft slow down.

that is the same exact thing as mine is doing and there has been some times where ive to shut it off and pop it gear and then go.
But i did drop off my truck at the mechanic so he should be getting back with me soon but ill keep everyone informed.

:)

well i talked to my mechanic not to long ago and about this, he said it was my syncronizers and thats my trans was going to hell...so he told me to drive it into the ground and then call him up for a tow to the shop haha i hope my ass is far away to (family friend and he tows us for free) i also found my gasket was leaking and my alternator went to crap so thats getting fixed as well man gotta hate it when something go everything seems to follow right after...

Hi everyone !!

I have the same problem !!....In the morning, my shift without problem...but with the time my shift turn very hard, the first shift very very hard....if I stop, for engage the first shift, I must shut off my engine, and then engage firts shift....Is a great problem !!...so..What I must do ?...bleed ?...Will be problem with slave clutch ?..I don´t know...!!....Greetings !! :rolleyes:

Well, thanks for the update; I was hoping for better news than a bad transmission. I am going to try the changing the slave cylinder next month. I noticed what smelled like brake fluid seeping from the bell housing.

I know the feeling about one thing leading to another. When I changed the engine in my XLT it lead to a new radiator, fuel pump, power steering pump and week after getting back on the road the catalytic converter clogged.

Thanks again

I have now swaped mine out 3 times, the last one only lasted 8 months, they all spring leaks and saok the bellhousing. Make sure you clean all the brake fluid off the clutch disc

Garage005.jpg

I have to feel lucky. The last time I changed mine was 2004. Will do on cleaning the clutch disc. Have you found one brand to be better than another?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had this problem with my 91 Ex about 11 years ago (about 100k miles). Found it was the clutch pins (about a $50 fix + another $250-$300 to drop the transmission to get to them). I don't know if these pins are the same as the sychronizers or not. About 5 years later (approx. 175k miles), my transmission needed replaced. Just my 2 cents.

Back