tie rod end ?'s | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

tie rod end ?'s

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have searched all over and people say to use these ones but it wont work
es2233l
es2234r
es2227l
es2026r
the es2233l has a hole in it to mount your drag link to but the es2227l will not fit in that hole nor will any of the other ones

They require some modifications to work, including using a taper-reamer to slightly enlarge the hole where the stud on the tie-rod end goes

but it looks like if i taper out that hole big enough to work it will make that rod end very weak. But is that what everyone that does this conversion has to do? I know that i will have to ream the holes on the knuckles but nobody has said any thing about haveing to ream the hole on the tie rod end.

bump

Go hi-steer.

i would like to but dont have the funds for now.

im sure several people on here have done what im doing. so all i need to know is if i have to ream the hole out on the passenger side tie rod end where the drag bar hooks up?

You can weld your own doodad with a reamed hole to the drag link.

Think outside the box ;)

yes people ream the hole. Yes it makes it weaker. Yes people have bent them at that point. yes people have welded stuff to help strengthen that area. Go hi steer or cross over. steering isnt the place to go cheap.

What size tires? What axle? What rig?

Yes you have to ream the hole you use the same reamer you need to use on your knuckles for the TRE's. Reaming the hole is no big deal unless you are one tons/40's and drive crazy. Ive reamed one out on my old Bronco and it leaves more material than you would think. You can cut some 1/4" plate to fit along the top and bottom of that area as a gusset- weld it on and it will never bend. I was running 37's and didnt see the need to bother.

You will be fine with the chevy stuff.

Back