putting 5.0 injectors in a ohv 4.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

putting 5.0 injectors in a ohv 4.0

loner4u69

Reaction score
City, State
Forest Grove, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
Can you put 5.0 injectors in a 4.0? will it work with the maf and O2 sensor ? will it get rid of the high rpm ping?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How will I find out? I work for ford and they couldn't tell me! So would 24lb injectors give me an improvement or bigger?

unless youre doing other engine modifications such as a bigger MAF, TB, exhaust, or computer tune i dont see why you would need bigger injectors. if you put bigger injectors on a stock motor you are going to be dumping WAY too much fuel into your motor, itll just be a waste and cause more problems.

Pinging is not caused by injectors. If you have a bad injector, than change it. The PCM is tuned to work with only one injector size. Some 4.0's supposedly came with something besides a 19lbs. model, but I think that it was just a color change.

Search the site for 4.0 pinging, that is common with the pre-95's, and there are many suggested fixes.

I have 2.25 exhaust with no cats just a muffler and a cone intake filter. I think the engine is runnin lean. The 4.0 is running fine just pings about 4grand. i've tryed seafoam. I read that a chip doesn't do much. I don't want to spend the money on a chip if 5.0 injectors will work they're free!

Injectors are balanced in flow with the controlling PCM. Any injector used with a different flow rate will alter the flow of fuel at all times, idle through red line. Do not use a different flow injector ever, without retuning the PCM. Your problem is not due to the wrong sized injector. All vehicles could use a better tune, but none should have the fuel flow changed by a huge amount like an injector change would do.

Look harder at the hundreds of other who have added far more than what you have, and they didn't change injectors.

ok case closed I won't do it. thanks guys for your info....

I had a pinging problem with my 94 even on 93 octane.Come to find out the tube from the TB to the air meter had a hole in it on the bottom side.Replaced the tube and now it runs fine.even on 87.hope this helps.

Back