05 v8 intake options?? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

05 v8 intake options??

I'm sorry, this is probably one of the most ignorant statements I've seen on this forum.

There is no need to go swapping out exhaust manifolds and deleting cats if you're pulling in the same amount of air.... Upgrading your exhaust is going to do next to nothing unless you increase the amount of air coming through. And why would you even suggest that NOT giving the engine more air is a good idea? More air = colder air, I fail to see the negatives here...

here's what I suggest, which has been a proven starting method for 3rd gen V8's

1) Intake (K&N is your best option here)
2) new exhaust (Gibson cat-back, magnaflow, or custom cat back featuring Flow 40's)
3) custom tune (James Henson to the rescue...)

And actually, MOST restriction in stock vehicles are the conservative factory tunes and the very restrictive intakes.

lol thank you for saying that i was trying to be a bit more polite but yes ur absolutely correct....str8 ignorant lol ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

lol thank you for saying that i was trying to be a bit more polite but yes ur absolutely correct....str8 ignorant lol ;)

I would have been a little less harsh if he didn't try and sell it so hard...

KKM is a rip off because it's just a filter and an MAF adapter to fit a 3" cone filter on the stock tube. I almost made the mistake of purchasing it, but the good people of this board pointed out I could make my own KKM kit for about 65bucks. I'm still running stock ATM because I decided to hold off on the intake and just wait and get the full K&N kit so I dont have to re do the tubing later.

I'm sorry, this is probably one of the most ignorant statements I've seen on this forum.

There is no need to go swapping out exhaust manifolds and deleting cats if you're pulling in the same amount of air.... Upgrading your exhaust is going to do next to nothing unless you increase the amount of air coming through. And why would you even suggest that NOT giving the engine more air is a good idea? More air = colder air, I fail to see the negatives here...

here's what I suggest, which has been a proven starting method for 3rd gen V8's

1) Intake (K&N is your best option here)
2) new exhaust (Gibson cat-back, magnaflow, or custom cat back featuring Flow 40's)
3) custom tune (James Henson to the rescue...)

And actually, MOST restriction in stock vehicles are the conservative factory tunes and the very restrictive intakes.

Could not agree more. As a novice--I came to this forum to determine the essential bolt-ons for my Explorer and went with these 3 elements:

--K & N intake
--Magnaflow cat-back
--JBA headers

I am getting a custon tune next month from JDM Engineering in NJ but I can tell you that my upgrades have already astonished me. The headers may have been overkill but I love the performance (and sound!) of my truck now. It definetely scares folks in the city now when I hit the gas...

Could not agree more. As a novice--I came to this forum to determine the essential bolt-ons for my Explorer and went with these 3 elements:

--K & N intake
--Magnaflow cat-back
--JBA headers

I am getting a custon tune next month from JDM Engineering in NJ but I can tell you that my upgrades have already astonished me. The headers may have been overkill but I love the performance (and sound!) of my truck now. It definetely scares folks in the city now when I hit the gas...

how are the headers working out for you? Debating if I want to add that to my list of things to do.

how are the headers working out for you? Debating if I want to add that to my list of things to do.

Awesome. I actually installed the intake and exhaust two weeks ago while the headers were being ceramic coated. I loved the sound and performance the truck had at that time. Then the headers were bolted on last week. Not a big sound difference. But I definitely noticed a performance difference. I hit the gas and the truck really moves with no hesitation. A little scary for latte carrying pedestrians here in the crosswalks of Manhattan. And when I am on the highway, the extra hp gain is apparent at higher rpms.

A great upgrade all in all--though I don't know if I needed to pay the extra ~$200 and get them ceramic coated. I'll let the experts on this board debate that point...

A great upgrade all in all--though I don't know if I needed to pay the extra ~$200 and get them ceramic coated. I'll let the experts on this board debate that point...

A friend of mine who used to race circle dirt tracks and now owns a muffler shop once talked to me about headers. He had tried everything that was out there at the time when he stopped racing. Ceramic coating is the only way to go. Headers can and will wear out, it is just a matter of time. His experience showed longer header life in ceramic coated situations.

So here is the explanation:

Headers wear out because of heat in both the form of absorption and transfer. A job of the exhaust is to take heat (in the form of the exhaust gasses) away from the motor. Ceramic coating reduces the heat absorption of the header and the heat transfer into the engine bay (similar to the concept of wrapping your headers with that heat tape). This translates to reduced heat stress on the headers, cooler engine bay temperatures which will assist in engine cooling, and prolonged header life.

Side note: At one time on a little ricer ('92 Civic LX Sedan, 1.5L I4 w/ 5sp man.) that I had, we were going to put in ceramic coated headers, a cold air ram air intake (uses the stock location like our explorers as opposed to the CAI used on these cars that are prone to water because they are in the bumper) with appropriate shields and ceramic coat all intake tubes to reduce any heat absorption by the intake system.

how about removing the small plastic air boxes off the stock intake tube, plug up those holes and getting a high flow air filter....? thats gotta be a good cost effective route to take

I did this. I plugged the holes to the silencers, took off the lower half of the air box and clamped a K&N filter to the top of the air box. Yesterday my mileage for mostly rural, but some city driving, was 18.6. I had it in last week to get new rear wheel bearings and the owner of the shop, who services the counties sheriff's department Explorers, said it had the most get up and go of any Explorer he had driven. It is slightly loud though on hard acceleration.

yup i did that too... but i did not remove the filter box.. instead i just threw in a k&n...
results are actually good

Check the mileage and try it both ways. I get better mileage without the bottom part of the airbox.

ok... but how u get the filter to stay up??? use anything special???

I zip tied it to the reservoir behind it to hold it up in place and used those large black binder clips to hold the K&N to the top part of the air box. It has been that way for 50,000 miles with no problems.

Back