2002+ Offroading Photos Wanted | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002+ Offroading Photos Wanted

^^^thats what im talking about...sick mounty.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not really an action shot but its a little dirty:D

DSC00027.jpg

DSC00028.jpg

For anyone who thinks a 3rd gen can't be "used"... ;)
Picture007-1.jpg

Only problem was we had to put the deer on the hood of a ranger and step on the bumper to be able to reach the roof of the ex.
The same day my little ex also towed a dodge up a muddy hill, and pulled a downed tree off of the trail. :thumbsup:

RB easily has one of the sickest 3rd Gens on the site... just had to throw it out there lol

JUTGIN's is also equally badass

Danny

RB easily has one of the sickest 3rd Gens on the site... just had to throw it out there lol

JUTGIN's is also equally badass

Danny

id love to see how bad ass he could make an XLT w/ the V8 hehe.

For anyone who thinks a 3rd gen can't be "used"... ;)
Picture007-1.jpg

Only problem was we had to put the deer on the hood of a ranger and step on the bumper to be able to reach the roof of the ex.
The same day my little ex also towed a dodge up a muddy hill, and pulled a downed tree off of the trail. :thumbsup:

Poor bambi! Truck looks good though, and nice to know it works well too.

RB is a V6?

so there is hope for me to have fun off road!!!

SDVike - what do you think of those GEOLANDER TIRES ?????

Sorry for the slow response. Girl friend is kind of distracting me lately.;)

I have been very happy with them to this point. I am starting to get some uneven wear on them after about 25,000 miles. I think it is an alignment issue but I've had it in the shop twice and they can't get it right. I don't want to blame the tires or wheels but something doesn't seam to balance right. Over all they are 10 times better on the road(wet, icy, or dry) then the stock Goodyears. Plus as you can see they took me to some cool places offroad.

PS. if you want to get the most millage out of your tires, stay off the trailers I went on. I probably burnt off 5000 miles in about 150. Worth every penny:D

thanks for the response !!!!

compared to the factory offered michelin or goodyear or firestone ETC...

how good are they when put up against the ( MPG TEST ) ??? same or a drop in MPG ????

how good are they when put up against the ( MPG TEST ) ??? same or a drop in MPG ????

I'm guessing that even compensating the mileage for the larger tire size (approximately 9.3% larger then stock...therefore 100 miles on the odometer will be approximately 109.3 miles traveled...unless the computer has been retuned for the new tire size) he still saw a drop in MPG. The engine has to turn a larger mass at the wheels...More work = Less Economy...

The only way that you can really increase your tire size and see about the same MPG is to regear. If you have 3.55 and 235/70R16 tires stock and put on 265/75R16 and regear with 3.90, you will run approximately the same RPM's and you will have less wear/tear on the vehicle.

I went from 245/70/16 to 265/75/16. I have the 3.73 rear with the factory limited slip. I wonder how that would compare to an Explorer with factory tires and say 3.55 gears?

I went from 245/70/16 to 265/75/16. I have the 3.73 rear with the factory limited slip. I wonder how that would compare to an Explorer with factory tires and say 3.55 gears?

That is still an increase in tire size of 7.3%. With the addition of 4.10 gears, you would only be about 50 RPM over the stock setup you described. 3.73 gears will struggle less then the 3.55 with the tire change, but will still see a drop in fuel mileage because the engine is working harder still, and runs at different RPM's then what the computer is programmed to run at.

i have 235's currently... would my MPG still change even if i upgraded to 245's ?? there are explorers with stock 245's out there as you know... does it all depend on the factory tuning the truck for whatever tire size they feel like putting on the truck ?????

hope this sounds correct lol

Danny

i have 235's currently... would my MPG still change even if i upgraded to 245's ?? there are explorers with stock 245's out there as you know... does it all depend on the factory tuning the truck for whatever tire size they feel like putting on the truck ?????

hope this sounds correct lol

Danny

1.9% increase in size (28.95" diameter vs. 29.50" diameter, assuming you are referring to a 70 series tire). I'm guessing that you will see a slight decrease (due to wheel mass) in MPG, but looking at gearing, going to 245's is only going to drop you about 40 RPM.

BTW, these numbers I'm throwing out are done in two calculators I have developed to look at tire size differences and the other, gear ratios based on tire size (you can see the effect on RPM with different tire and gear setups). If anybody is interested in these, I'll be glad to set them up and email them out. They use MS Excel.

MPGs went from 18 to 16. Don't know how that compares to everyone else. Plus size tires will always get worse, but I am guessing that as they are designed for highway first the do better then offroad tires.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Isnt this thread for off road pictures, WTF are you people up to, sheesh at times I have to wonder, PM each other or put it in an economy thread

Back