• Register Today It's free!

New guy needs advice with a BII.

tinbirdrod

Reaction score
City, State
Interior, British Columbia
Year, Model & Trim Level
hopefully '88
hi guys and thanx for all who started and maintain a forum like this one.

i'm looking at buying a 1988 BII, 2.9 L engine, 5 spd. some rust along lower panels, but the frame looks in good shape. i did notice that the 'outer' sleeve of the driver side rear shock was nearly rusted away, so obviously its either been into the mud often or along a coast line, but overall seems o.k.
The dealership was closed today, so i haven't heard the truck start, or run.

what are your thoughts on the '88's, their tranny's (this one apparently just had the clutch replaced according to the window sign) and engines regarding durability, weaknesses, quirks that sort of thing.

I plan on maybe checking it out on tuesday (day off) and am wondering if there is anything, particularly with the engine, to watch for either when cold or after it has warmed up?

I plan to use this mainly for a DD, but also some mild 4x4ing (more just driving logging roads kind of thing)
What can be reasonably expected in real world terms regarding mpg's, particularly if i keep my foot out of it?

Thanx in advance for any and all responses

tinbirdrod

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome

I think 410Fortune is going to be the man to answer this for you. From what I know of him, he seems to be the BroncoII expert. He's done 2 engine swaps (that i remember) that included transmission swaps as well. I think he went from the 2.9L to the 4.0L, and now to the 5.0L. Try sending him a message and get his opinions, he'll be able to help you out with a bunch.

The 2.9L V6 is pretty bulletproof with one exception, they will crack heads if overheated. With the cooling system in good working order though, you can work 'em as hard as you want and it'll take it (a larger 2-core Explorer radiator can make a difference here).

Transmissions are another story, they like to eat input shaft bearings (leading to catastrophic failure), and don't take well to being overworked in 5th gear (overdrive). Fortunately the Mazda M5OD from Explorers and later Rangers with 2.9L or 4.0L V6s are a direct bolt-in swap (the 2.9L M5OD would be more desirable (slightly lower gear ratios), but can be harder to find in a 4x4 version).

The stock FM-146 trans in that year can be fairly reliable however if the axle gear ratio is on the deeper side (3.73s or 4.10s with stock tires). Be sure to maintain that overall ratio if you go bigger on the tire size though (you'll want 4.56 for 31s, etc.).
I still have the FM146 in mine. So far so good (15,000 miles running 35" tires and 5.13 gears).

When you go to look at it, take a look under the oil filler cap. Any gross-looking whitish snot in there is a dead-ringer for cracked heads.

Hope that helps.

thanx guys for the responses and advice,

i checked the oil fill cap, nothing out of the ordinary, took it for a test drive and had a chance to check out the push button 4x4, everything seemed to work o.k....except...it idles around the 850-900 rpm mark on the tach, and sounds about right too, but when i shift into Drive from Park, it engages HARD. If I shift back into Reverse, it is normal, not jolting or anything, the same with the other gears. It just happens from Park to Drive or OverDrive (which I normally reserve for highway use only anyway)
Sooo, the question of the day is, what part needs to be replaced/adjusted?
I tried searching, but didn't find any postings that answered my concerns, the closest I found was something about the torque converter locked and I had to unlock it?
I may have not used the proper search terms/technique.
Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

thanx in advance

rod

and to you guys south of the 49th, your election definitely is going to hit the top 3 events in world history with Time magazine!!!

4x4junkie was dead on

1988 is my favorite year BECAUSE the 89-90 is ugly IMO :)
A 4.0L conversion is a natural bolt in deal for your truck when you to that point.

1988 is 20 years old, its going to need some parts and work... things wear out.

I have done several conversions
my 88 went from
2.9L and 5 speed
to
93 4.0L and 5 speed
to 93 4.0L and A4LD auto
to
1998 5.0L and 4r70w auto with OBD-II electronics

The 4.0L and 5 speed is an excellent setup for these trucks, I didnt want a clutch anymore because I drive the truck daily, and tow with it and wheel the snot out of it, so an auto is for me, which lead me to the V8

keep your engine cool and keep it tuned, it will treat you well

heat is the enemy of your heads and your ignition system, so a 4.0L radiator and 180 thermostat along with an 11 blade 4.0L fan and clutch is a GREAT idea

Also ditch the cardigan style rear drive shaft along with the funky urethane mount trans x member, and auto hubs and you got yourself a nice truck!

FYI just about everything from a 4.0L Ranger/Explorer up to 95 explorer and 97 Ranger will bolt in.
Some simple updates like explorer style sun visors and late model seats, 89-90 style door panels and switches, will really make your 88 BII alot nicer to drive

Back