Front Driveshaft

jurick

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Eddie Bauer
Vehicle spec- 1997 Eddie Bauer Explorer, TT and shackles, 3" body lift

Well my factory driveshaft went out on me about a week ago and I am looking for a new replacement. I went to a driveline shop by me and they said that they could make me a driveshaft for $250 but they needed a piece that would attach to the flange on the transfer case that they could build off of.

So then I thought why not see if the superlift driveshaft will fit at stock height so I called a local dealer by me and they said it wouldnt.

I am stuck on this I really do not want to go back to that original driveshaft but I either need to find a piece that will adapt to that flange or find another type of driveshaft.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could probably get the flange and front output shaft from a 95-96 4405.

The front case half might be different but I'm not sure, I've only worked on the earlier years.

would say look for another driveshaft place when i got my new one($250)all they did was measure the lenght and thats it. find someone that knows what they are doing

How exactly did your driveshaft go out on you? Did it pull out into two halves?

I really do not want to start tearing into my transfer case because this is my daily driver.

Well I only have one good driveline shop near me everybody I know says to go to them and recommend them.

The driveshaft fell apart at the cv and I dont want to put something like that back in so I am looking for a stronger one.

I was going to have one made that had u joints on both ends with a slip yoke but all i need is that one piece that they can build off of.

what motor do you have a have a front shaft out of a 97 5.0 if that will help

I have a 4.0 SOHC so i believe that they are different sizes but I think that they superlift driveshaft should fit the vehicle even though the differential has not been dropped. I have to give them a call to see though.

yeah it will fit but twice as much

superlift shaft is for a 4" drop. it does extend and shorten though, so it might fit if its all the way compressed. i think they are 400+ dollars though..

i got mine for free when 4wp did my lift

Well i called superlift and they said that the driveshaft would fit even though the differential has not been dropped. The driveshafts are 400+ though so that is the downside of them.

they are very well built though.

Well i just ordered the superlift driveshaft from 4wheelparts. I am hoping that it will be here sometime next week. I will post pics when I get it installed.

Jurick, would you be so kind as to let me know when it gets to you. I'd like to see what they do. I have a feeling I can do the same one as them for A LOOOOOOOTT less. Maybe somthing this forum would be interested in?

i have on on my truck, i could take some pics if needed. i will be doing my hub this weekend, and changing the fluid in my t-case

Yeah, why not..if you get a chance I'd appreciate it!

Yea I will definitly take some pictures for you, before it is on the vehicle and after I put it on. I was looking for pictures a couple days ago and couldn't find any so i figured that I would post some.

Back