Torque Monsters and Intake Spacer | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torque Monsters and Intake Spacer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, just need to find a ride to the store, or ride my bicycle.

410 Fortune & All,

We no longer utilize the old/paperbase gaskets.

Our newer gaskets are made with metal and exhaust gasket material, a lot like the small gasket for the #5 tube.

We're trying to make a great product better with this change and by messaging the design, better header bolt combination and so on.

I hope the Headers are working as advertised for everyone and we thank you for your patronage. All the best!

Bob Pasquale
Tech Performance & Engineering
Torque Monster Headers

dont use the TM paper gaskets or you will be doing this again!

The headers are awesome
Having the upper intake off might actually help you work on the headers, so I vote do them both at the same time

The intake spacer is only a PITA because of the EGR tube and the coil pack bracket, my solution was just to use two bolts on the coil bracket instead of 3

I am replacing the gaskets on my TM headers on my 96 truck this weekend, it also has the 1" FMS spacer already LOL
the stock TM gaskets failed on me, I am replacing them with copper gaskets.... same thing I did on my BII

TM headers RULE

Update:
I got the headers and intake spacer installed late Sunday night. A buddy of mine came over to help out on the intake spacer, which is really a 2-man job. I was able to get the headers in myself with only a few hiccups. Removing the plate that the airbox mounts (2 bolts) to was really helpful for getting the passenger side header in.

I've got an exhaust leak somewhere on driver's side. It sounds like it's coming from the front of the header (#5 tube maybe?). I've tried to tighten the bolts down, but it's still leaking some (definitely hear it on acceleration, not so much at idle).

I really appreciate all the help I get here at EF, you guys rock.

fly boy when you installed the down pipes the headers should be fully seated and you have to tighten them down slowly with everything in position....

You sure your leak is coming from up front of the header? If so your gasket didnt seal or something

If it leaks for long it will be easy to spot look for black soot

Robert that is awesome about the gaskets, I knew you were reading my posts

The bolts that came with my 96 headers were alot easier to work with then the bolts that cmae with the BII headers......keep on improving your wicked product!!
I need another V8 truck, give me an excuse to get another set!!

Took the driver side header off today to fix the leak. Here's the gasket, notice the left port.
DSC02174.jpg

Here's the back side of that same port.
DSC02177.jpg

I think I found the problem...
DSC02178.jpg

Notice the soot that 410 was talking about.
DSC02180.jpg

I re-installed the header with one of the new gaskets that were included with the headers, no more leak!

Was that a fel pro gasket? I haven't ever seen a paper one.

It's kind of a headache to get new headers to seal up sometimes. But I'll bet it sounds great now.

Yes, that was the Fel-Pro gasket that broke. I was out driving it tonight and it sounds and feels so good, I was struggling not to speed the entire time.

City police, county sheriff, state highway patrol... to name a few.

Nice work Jeff!

I broke that fitting also, if you look in my thread, there is a picture with the fitting replaced with brass fittings from the hardware store :rolleyes:

I think maybe Bob should start including that T with his headers:D

I know its too late, but if I had it to do it again, I'd remove my upper intake, slide the headers in from the top without having to loosen the motor mounts.

This makes several sets of headers sold for Bob now...........

I think I might be having the same problem with the gasket I just put in. Looks like the same gasket, and looks like it might be failing in the same place. :(

It also looks like they have changed the recipe for that gasket
It has always been a lead type with the steel mesh-I have never seen it in a paper version. Weird

Are you guys installing it with the paper side to the head?

It also looks like they have changed the recipe for that gasket
It has always been a lead type with the steel mesh-I have never seen it in a paper version. Weird

Are you guys installing it with the paper side to the head?

Ummm, I don't know. I think it had a silver coating on both sides.

I just went and looked at the one I haven't installed yet. I guess it's lead - almost like it's sprayed, but it's on both sides. The only difference from one side to the other is that one side is flatter, while the other has some height to it. I want to say that I installed with the flatter side toward the head, but can't be sure (since I didn't check to see which one I had left when I went to the garage).

The paper-style gaskets are no longer being used. They used to ship with the TM Headers, but he's changed that to a metal based gasket now.

Nice work Jeff!

I broke that fitting also, if you look in my thread, there is a picture with the fitting replaced with brass fittings from the hardware store :rolleyes:

Thanks Evan. I only had a weekend to finish this up so I could drive myself to work. If I had more time, I would have done something similar, but I went with some spare tubing and some plastic fittings from autozone. It was messy, but it got the job done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I removed the header on the pass side of my explorer last night

It came out SUPER easy, the body lift sure makes it nice! LOL
problem is I broken one of the bolts off in the header, the y pipe to header bolt....ts stuck inside the header.

I tried vise grips, I tried heat, I tried grinding it down for a cresent wrench = no go.
I am going to drill and re-tap the header.....fun times fun times!

I am installing copper gaskets :)
Cant wait to do the drivers side!

my headers have the old style TM gaskets = big leak!
ANTI SEIZE on the bolts this time around......

Back