• Register Today It's free!

Serious Problem Need Help ASAP!!!

huntersteve61

Reaction score
City, State
Finleyville, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT 4Dr.
Hey guys I just bought this 99 automatic explorer and I'm having a shudder or a clunking but only under load... It feels like the front end but it will not do it under light acceleration but climb a hill it will

1 I turned all wheels felt/heard nothing
2 when I actively engage the 4 hi it stops doing it second I go back to auto the shudder continues.. It almost feels like when I dive in snow and the 4 wheel engages on wheel slippeage.
3 differentials have no shavings I suck a zip tie down in there came out clean. the cv's look good the u joints are commin out at 8 am tomorrow.. no fluid no signs no nothing..

I really don't know what to do guys I've checked everything it can't be a bad differential or tranny if when I engage the 4wd it immediatly solves the problem right? so it makes me question if the xfer case is doing something stupid

Please help me out here.. I seriously am scared and dunno where to turn maybe I'm not thinking straight here I dunno i just.. I dunno

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like your front shaft and/or u-joints.

front shaft??? what would be wrong with that??? I mean its not cracked or broken? wouldn't putting it in 4wd make that situation worse then leaving it in auto?? thanks for your quick reply my friend

Grease the slip yoke, and check the U joints. It sounds like the problem is coming from the rear. When the transfer case kicks in, it divides the load from the rear with the front. The rear makes the noise when it has to carry the full load.

Ok I had a misfire so that was a big problem tuned it up but still have alot of clunking the rear u joints are ok.. I dunno what else it could be.. if the front half shafts were bad would it do that in 2wd? in 4hi it seems much better... This problems really starting to get to me

Check those rear u-joints again. I had a shudder once... Rear ujoints were nice & tight. Until I put the rear axle on jackstands and spun the driveshaft with the tranny in neutral. Then I found the u-joint slop.

I had the rear driveshaft completely out saturday.. I feel 90% of it comming from up front.. I kno my tires are bad thats making part of the noise but it feels like I'm still missing or something I dunno... Got all the plugs in right and everything it ran well for a little while then it started its bullshit again.. So I can't tell if its a miss or what it is.. I really don't know.. I'm going to get back to it again tonight.. 1 second I'm sure its a miss.. 2nd I'm thinkin man this has to be something in the driveline its too firm to be miss

UPDATE: for the first 5 miles or so no miss every morning... past 2 mornings. Last night ck engine light was on turned it off and ran home well.. this morning.. miss is back.. This is a learning experience for me so I will be updating all of you I hope this helps somebody in the future because it misses so badly that it feels like u joint.. but a brake stand will confirm it is in fact a miss.

Tonight I will be testing wires and injecters on it and checking my plugs again to assure they are all good. I will report back with my findings and if you have a suggestion speak up please

RESULTS:

First I want to say this... my dad owns his own car repair garage... he is very willing to help but not willing to fix... He wants me to learn to do these things myself.. u kno its the father figure type haha

I tested wires which had a few cuts... sprayed them down with water and no arc/miss occured. I opted to replace them anyways as they appeared to be factory. My REAR oxy sensor was switching kind of slow on our obd 2 snap on scanner and stayed up around 9 when it warmed up.. which caused a lean condition.. so much that it missed.. hense the popping up threw the intake.. Yes I know.. I'm a miracle worker... haha no I got lucky but moral is... troubleshooting will fix anything.. and this truck missed hard... I was sure it was driveline till I calmed down and payed attention... I hope this helps somebody in the future

Back