4x4 transfer case issues.

ronsdeal

Reaction score
City, State
Taylor, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
4x4; klunking, not engageing, lights work

Hi, I'm a newbie here. Just bought a 2000 explorer 2 door, auto, 4.0 Ltr, with 150k rounds.
Put it into 4 high, and as I was going up a wet grassy hill, rear tires started spinning, and was hearing a loud klunking/shaking sound. Tried 4 low, same deal. Front wheels are not engaged. Where do I start?
Thanks
Ron:exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome ron

Note the 4x4 will not turn all 4 tires evenly. Does it seem like it is slipping? If it has had a hard life your transfer case clutch may be bad. It's not an uncommon problem.

Slipping or not

Thanks for the welcome!!!
No, doesn't seem to be slipping. Seems to be shaking and no traction at all in the front. [I was going up a very modest incline on wet grass and I had to back up] Sombody said my front hubs could be junk.
Any easy way to isolate the issue?
Thanks

Sombody said my front hubs could be junk.

You don't have front hubs. At least not the selectable kind that whoever told you that thought you did.

I'd check the front driveshaft.

If you have no power to the front I would suspect the transfer case as being bad. Can you hear and feel the clunks and clacks when shifting from high to low? The shift motor might not be working correctly. Does it have 2wd, or 4 wheel auto?

I have a selector switch; either; Auto, 4 High, or 4 Low
Thanks
Ron

That's what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure if the Auto started in 98. Since it is always in 4wd it won't be a shift motor issue. All the fuses good? I'm not sure what powers the electromagnetic clutch in the t case.

Hi
Yes when I switch from either Auto to 4H, or 4H to 4L if I put it in neutral and then drive I do hear the load klunk.

Same crap-ola

yes, all fuses are good 2 go.

At this point I am under the impression that is either;

1. Front Axel Shafts

or

2. Front Diff

or

3, Front hubs.......
I list the #3 as I had a 01 that had front hub issues....... not sure if this apply's

or 4 none of the above
[hey that's me!!!]

thanks all

It it were your cv axles I would think the sound would get worse when turning the wheels. Was the problem with your previous front hubs a pulse vacuum problem? I know the 2000'ish Rangers had them, not sure of the Sports?

Are you sure you weren't driving one front wheel? Loss of traction in slippery grass/mud isn't necessarily a sign of loss of 4wheel drive...

The next step is to see where the power to the front wheels starts and ends. Not a simple equation there...

I own a 99 sport. I had the same problem with mine and it would do it if you took off from a stop hard. I removed the front drive shaft and took it for a ride. The problem went away. It ended up being the warner transfer case. The chain that connects the front and rear output was slipping inside. I replaced my transfer case but you can get them rebuilt.

Same chain story here too.
Easy way to check if the chain is slipping:
Find a tall curb or a stairstep type obstacle. Put the front wheels up against it. Have somebody ease on the gas in 4lo while you're on your belly watching the front driveshaft.

driveshaft/front diff?

HI all, and thanks for the help.
Have determined that I have regular axels in the front. I think the culptrit is either the front driveshaft, or the front diff. The front driveshaft has this funky hub type assmbly where it mounts to the transfer case. New about 300.00. wow-almost crapped my pants. A friend has a junk yard, and will pull me one today.
I hope to get under it today and check the brown wire for power.

This forum is awesome. I spent hours researching all sorts of things.
Again, thanks to all.

Back