1998 Sport with very rough idle and stalling | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Sport with very rough idle and stalling

Ryanc721

Reaction score
City, State
Fairfield, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Limited
my sport only has 41,000 miles on it.....since last year, whenever the temperature drops below 60 degrees, it has a rough start up and usually stalls within the first minute of starting it....i tried gas cleaner, the fuel injector cleaner, and got a tune up. NOTHING works...during the summer, the start up is fine, but during the fall and winter, it takes 15 minutes to actually get it started. i start it, it idles very rough, and then stalls...and then i repeat it and tap the gas and finally it works...any ideas? thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4.0 SOHC ??

OOM12 kit (intake gaskets leaking ) mine does the same thing on my '99,it's a P.I.T.A when its cold out !!
I think the part# is YL2Z-9E473-AA ( someone let me know for sure if thats right) I got quoted $60.48 + tax for the kit today

Yup. That's the problem. The parts are around $35 IIRC, but the install will take a few hours the first time you do it.

The gaskets shrink, and you end up with a small vacuum leak. Once the engine gets a little bit of heat into it, the gaskets expand a bit and seal up. That'll fix your problem. :)

-Joe

hhmmm..I be a little slow I guess...whats that translated to "slow people terms"

The intake gaskets alone can be had for $15 or so from Autozone and such if I remember correctly what they told me a month or two ago.I'm just going to install the oom12 kit to see if it also helps with the start-up rattle in mine.
Does the $60 + tax sound about right for it ?

hhmmm..I be a little slow I guess...whats that translated to "slow people terms"

The intake gaskets alone can be had for $15 or so from Autozone and such if I remember correctly what they told me a month or two ago.I'm just going to install the oom12 kit to see if it also helps with the start-up rattle in mine.
Does the $60 + tax sound about right for it ?

IIRC = If I Remember Correctly

www.fastpartsnetwork.com

Select the parts catalog tab, then enter the part number in the search pane.

$60.48 list, $48.27 is your discount. I bought mine direct from the Ford Employee Parts Purchasing Center a couple years back... My discount on it put it right around $35... That's where that number came from.

had my mechanic install it...spent 180 on install and 60 for the part...doesnt work AT ALL......any other ideas?...

Sounds like a good scan with a knowledgable tech is in order...

Once started, does it idle and run fine?

yup, after about 20 minutes its completely fine

yup, after about 20 minutes its completely fine

Maybe the engine coolant temp sensor sending a false reading? Without a good scanner, there's no way to know what the engine's seeing for the temp... The sending unit for the gauge and the temp sensor for the ECU are not the same unit...

Without a good scanner, it's a guessing game at best.... sorry I can't be more help...

where should i take it to figure it out without paying a huge amount of money?

I am having the SAME problem with the idle when the coolant guage is below Cold. I went the same route you did in the beginning even changing the fuel injectors. Im hoping you figured out the solution to this problem.

that intake kit cures most of them,90+% anyway

try cleaning the IAC and MAF

coolant temp switch could be it too

really need to put a good scanner on it and see what comes up

autozone can scan it for you and tell you whats wrong with it

Back